2 out of 4 zones suddenly don't work

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikeaz

Reaction score
I have an automatic system with 4 zones. Today I noticed that 2 of the four zones have virtually no pressure. I'm not a irrigation pro, just a typical handy homeowner who can intstall valves, sprinkler heads, timers, tubing, do minor repairs, etc.

No water pressure on two of four valves of a system that has been in use for years...was working recently, no pressure when run with the timer, no pressure when tryiing to operate manually.

Any help?

Thanks

Prashster

Reaction score
When you say 'manually' do you mean running a single station through the controller? Do you have the provision to manually turn the valve on and off from the valve box?

If you leave one of the 'bad' zones on for 5-10 minutes, do you notice a pool of groundswell somewhere? That'd point to a puncture. However, it's unlikely 2 zones would be similarly punctured or clogged at the same time (unless it's the beginning of the season and yr turning on after the winter).

I also doubt that 2 valves would simultaneously go bad.

My nonpro instinct is that it's a problem in the electrical connections to the valves.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you've opened the valves manually and there's still no pressure, then you have either a mainline leak or a clog just upstream from the first zone that doesn't work. Usually, with a mainline leak, it becomes pretty obvious where it is. For a clog, you'll have to do some digging.

Mikeaz

Reaction score
By manually, I go to the valve and turn the solenoid and/or the bleed screw, not related to the sprinkler timer/control.

No winter here in Phoenix. Sounds like I should run one of the bad zones and then look for the wet spot, hopefully? Between the main line and the valves?

Only going to be 113 here today so not too excited to dig for a broken pipe, but it is what it is.

Mikeaz

Reaction score
When I manually open the valves there is barely any water pressure getting TO the valves and passing through the valves on the two zones that aren't working. Mostly Drip irrigation and a few sprinklers...I don't notice anything broken or puddling in those areas.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to troubleshoot the main line that goes from the the last valve that is working to the first valve that is not working. That means doing some digging.

R

Rancher

Mikeaz said:
When I manually open the valves there is barely any water pressure getting TO the valves and passing through the valves on the two zones that aren't working.
Are all four zone/valve on the same supply line? Perhaps there is a valve to these two zones that someone have closed. I'm keying on your quote "TO".

Rancher (Sierra Vista)

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
Are all 4 valves in the same box and on the same manifold?

Can you describe your system in a bit more detail?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks