2 line jet pump no water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mass_ tech89

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I have a problem with a two line jet pump that is not building pressure. I must admit I am not the most skilled with wells.

The first time I was called out the pump was continuously running. I checked the charge on the pressure tank which I found to be low. After filling it back up the pump ran but could only pump to a max of 38 psi. Not being sure what the issue was I replaced the pressure switch and the tubing as the contacts were worn badly. However the pump still would not pressurize above 38 psi so I adjusted down the cut off pressure so the pump would turn off. I don't know what was causing the reduced capacity but it was 9 at night so the homeowner was happy with it and I left.

5 days later I get the call pump Is not running at all. Pump was getting 240v but the pressure switch was not engaging. If I manually closed the pressure switch the pump would kick on and eventually the p switch contacts would close on there own and pump would fill the pressure tank to about 35 psi. Pump was drawing 6 amps pretty close to the nameplate. I also noticed that now the pump was dripping from the volute. My theory is homeowner shut off discharge line ball valve blowing the seal and thus the leak.

I told them that they needed a new pump it's very old and my thoughts were its pulling in air from the leak reducing it's capacity. Do you think think this a solid diagnosis? I really am curious to what could have been the original problem before the very obvious water on floor.

this pump is for a deep well and had some kind of pressure controlling valve that the tubing for the pressure switch connects with. Does anyone of any experience with how to test one of these valves to ensure its letting the pressure switch close

Another question about these systems:
If I suspect a leak on the suction side can I pressurize suction line to see if it holds pressure

Artached is the picture of the valve I'd like to know how to troubleshoot and what it does exactly
Any input great appreciated
Thanks guys,
N

The pump is a jlo7n.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 322

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Best advice?

Throw it away and convert the system to a submersible. Extend the casing. Install a pitless adapter with the proper well cap, 7 GPM pump, WX251 tank, slide a piece of 3/4 through the 1.25 poly and wire through the 1", new drop pipe......

About a $5000.00 job, take you from 8:30 to 1:30-2:00

The homeowner will love you for the upgrade.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks