2 inch trap for bathtub to reduce clogging?

Users who are viewing this thread

jfhardy

Reaction score
I am considering replacing the trap and drain/overflow assembly for a tub/shower because of frequent clogging. I have access to everything from my unfinished basement, so it shouldn't be to difficult to do.

The current drain / overflow assembly is one of those with hand tightended fittings. It is glued to a 1-1/2 inch trap which connects to a 2 x 2 x 1-1/2 wye. A photo is attached.

This is the plan I am considering:
1) replace the hand tightened drain/overflow assembly with a solvent glued assembly.
2) replace the 1-1/2 inch trap with a 2 inch trap connected to the drain assembly with a reducing bushing
3) replace the 2 x 2 x 1-1/2 inch wye with a 2 x 2 x 2 wye.

My questions:
Is there such a thing as a 2 inch drain assembly for a tub / shower?

Does it make sense to replace the hand tightened assembly with a solvent glued assembly? I am finishing the basement now so I won't have access to this in the future.

Will a 2 inch trap clog less frequently than a 1-1/2 inch trap?

Does this plan make sense, or should I leave everything as is? The house is only 3 years old.

Thanks, Jack

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 43,277

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Leave it. There would be almost no benefit of changing that short section of 1 1/2" pipe to 2", and a different drain would increase the drain size by about 1/16" or 1/8". Not enough to worry about.

jfhardy

Reaction score
What about replacing the hand tightented drain / overflow assembly with solvent glued assembly? I am finishing my basement and I won't have access to it in the future. I had read somewhere that you shouldn't use hand tightened assemblies inside enclosed walls.

Thanks, Jack

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Bath tub waste and overflows are sized at 1½" and some places have codes that say the trap size can not be larger than the drain that is discharging into. The following is from the Illinois Plumbing code book underlining added by me.

Trap Size. The size of trap for a fixture shall comply with Appendix A: Table E for minimum size of traps. No trap shall be larger than the fixture drain to which it is connected or the drainage pipe into which it discharges.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Is that trap 1 1/2"¿ So then that is a two inch by three inch bushing¿ Looks like a two inch trap. Might the tub assembly be 1 1/4"¿ Maybe there in lies your problem.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Is that trap 1 1/2"¿ So then that is a two inch by three inch bushing¿ Looks like a two inch trap. Might the tub assembly be 1 1/4"¿ Maybe there in lies your problem.

That is an 1"1/2 trap going into a 2x1"1/2 wye.The W/O is 1"1/2 tubular.
I would install a gerber brass W/O.Never had any problems with them.
Your trap and waste look look just fine,allthough I do not like the way it is vented.
It`s flat vented and is not allowed in most areas.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

They are not "hand tightened drains", they are "wrench tightened drains" and have been used for decades, LONG before there were glued together drains, without problems. If you "hand tighten" the drain you WILL have problems because they will be loose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks