2 inch residential well casing leak issue

Users who are viewing this thread

ksedwards

Reaction score
I have a 2" steel casing that is 28 years old. The Static water table fluctuates, but was around 18'. I ran a shallow well pump until 2011. That year the water table dropped to about 28' and shallow well pump stopped "pulling". I installed a jet pump with the venturi about 50' down. everything was working fine until a few weeks ago. It appears that I now have a hole in the casing somewhere, as I am loosing pressure back into the well and the pump is cycling. I have looked for narrow submersibles, I have looked for a way to reline the casing, but keep coming up empty. I have planted Apple and Peach trees, so access to the well to re-drill would require killing quite a few fruit trees. Tomorrow I am going to pull the jet up to ensure it is not the check value, and re-install to about 35' and hope that it is above the hole in the casing. I could go back to shallow well, but at some point the water table will drop again. I know that there must be others with similar problems. Anyone know a "fix"? (like a narrow submersible)?

Reach4

Reaction score
Isn't a faulty check valve in the foot valve more likely than a hole in the casing?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
How many gallons per minute and how many gallons per day do you want from this well?

There are some options depending on the quantity of water you need.

ksedwards

Reaction score
Reach 4: I have considered a faulty Check Value and it may actually be a bad check valve (which happened just after I installed the jet foot). This time the pressure drops really fast and when I open the water stream by the pump, I am now getting lots of sand, which I never got before. My well point is 110' deep with 20' of aquifer between the bottom of the well pipe and the hard bottom, so I doubt if it is pulling sand (if any) from the bottom of the well. I think I have a leak between the head and the foot.

ksedwards

Reaction score
Boycedrilling: It is the pump for a 300 Gal aerator tank, so volume only needs to be 5 Gals/Minute to keep things working. I am getting about 15 right now. I'm open to suggestions. This area is all sand, so I have thought about jetting a larger PVC casing around the existing 2 inch casing (which I can do), but I can't figure out how to seal the bottom between the outer casing and the 2" casing. I saw a narrow pump that is used to pump samples from a well (12V), but it doesn't appear that it has much volume and it doesn't indicate any pressure ratings (I need to aerate the water due to the high sulphur content).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks