2 Gallon Expansion Tanks...Hot water VS Well expansion tank

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Its.me.again, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Its.me.again

Its.me.again New Member

Can anyone solve this mystery for me? When it comes to putting a 2 gallon thermal expansion tank on a hot water heater, can a person opt to use a 2 gallon well pressure expansion tank?

What is the difference between these expansion tanks?

I will use the following example that Lowes sells the 2 gallon hot water tank expansion tank for $40.00 and the 2 Gallon well pump expansion tank for $50.00. These are the "LPT2" series tanks.

I wonder if most people complain that typical hot water expansion tanks experience bladder failure in 3 years? Do you think that the well style expansion tank has a stronger internal bladder and will last longer?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

They should be the same tank, because a 2 gallon "well pump expansion tank" would be absolutely useless for a pump system, (and well pumps do NOT have an expansion problem in the first place).
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

A 2 gallon pressure tank on a well pump would be fine for a sprinkler system that is matched to the GPM of the pump so that it doesn't cycle. Also would work with a CSV.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

WH expansion tanks are designed to be installed on the cold water supply and won't work well on the hot side - the bladder dies earlier. Both a well tank and a WH would normally only have cold water feeding them, so, it's likely either should work. A well tank bladder would probably see MUCH more expansion/contraction of the volume of water, and to survive a decent service life, the bladder may be more robust to take the regular large excursions as the pump cycles. A WH, depending on its size, may only need to accommodate a cup or so from expansion, a well tank much more.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Interesting you found a thermal expansion tank at Lowe's. My Lowe's doesn't even know what they are. That aside, I have had my expansion tank in place for 5 years and it is still just fine.
  6. zl700

zl700 DIY Senior Member

Unless its on a variable speed constant pressure well system or a jet pump booster system and then 2-gallon well tanks are the norm.