2-12gauge and a 14 gauge for ground?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by trackerxx, Mar 3, 2008.

1. trackerxx

trackerxx New Member

Is it okay for me to use two 12 gauge (for hot and neutral) and one 14 gauge wire for ground? I think 14 gauge is easier to work with but I don't want to violate code.

I'm installing a dedicated circuit running EMT for a gas dryer.

Thanks.
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Wouldn't the EMT be the ground?

If you install a wire for the equipment grounding conductor it MUST be a #12
  3. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

No can do.

Jason
  4. MarkHash

MarkHash New Member

I am sure it's against the code, but it would definitely carry the fault current long enough to pop the breaker, which is what it is there for. I'm sure there are deep reasons for like sized ground wires but it escapes me right now. Probably to make sure the circuit breaker operates properly in much larger applications.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I don't know code, but I would use 12/3 color coded for 220VAC. (Red, Black, and Green) Of course electricity doesn't care what color the wire is, but if it had to be worked on in the future, it might help.
  6. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

For a GAS dryer?
  7. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

And I thought the 12 was a bit much... :D:D:D:D (I know its required....)
  8. Lakee911

12/3 is ROMEX® and it contains a white, black, red and a bare ground. It's 4W, which most new dryers should be. For a 220VAC dryer this COULD be used, but generally they're at least 30A so a 10/3 would be used for the increased amperage. He also said that he's running EMT, so ROMEX® probably isn't the right choice. Lastly, a gas dryer is probably 120VAC.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  9. Lakee911

Actually, I was thinking that he could supply a 15A breaker and then get away with it, but the more that I think about it, if you increase the current carrying conductor (say for voltage drop, for example), I'm pretty sure the ground needs increased too. The EMT could be used if its continous and contains any appropriate bonding jumpers.
  10. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

210.11(C)(2) requires a 20 amp laundry circuit.
  11. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

THAT was my point!