1st story lav sink drains slow, 2nd story lav trap gets sucked dry: help?

Users who are viewing this thread

mystryda

Reaction score
I inherited a pair of problem sinks, and I haven't been able to solve the problem.

House was built in the late 70's. These two bathrooms are on the same stack, and I'm guessing that the problems are related.

The 1st story lav sink drains very slowly. The trap is completely clean.

The 2nd story lav sink drains fine, but the flushing the toilet releases a bit of sewer gas. I'm presuming that the trap is getting sucked dry because of a clogged vent. I tried blowing out the clog by feeding a garden hose down the vent from the roof, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Do you think these problems are related? What should I do next?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. When you say the downstairs trap is completely clean, are you basing that on being able to shove a 1/4 inch snake through the pipes, or did you remove the trap and inspect?

Is the "trap seal" a bit shallow upstairs?
trap-bw-2d.jpg
If your trap is at the shallow end, maybe you could find a deeper P trap.

Not a plumber.

mystryda

Reaction score
I actually pulled the trap. It's completely clean.

I would estimate the trap seal depth as ~2 1/2". It's a typical 1 1/4" lav P-trap kit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks