1989 Utica boiler hum#4

Users who are viewing this thread

4uzindian

Reaction score
back again from last 4 months. the tech put the new #15 expansion tank on . it was last Tuesday. said everything was good. he did not purge the system afterwards. now I'm back with a hum in the living room and kitchen. you think it is air in the lines? today is Sunday. last night there some slight banging in the pipe in the living room ?or could it be from the boiler itself ?put ear to pres - temp gauge .hum sounds like its coming from boiler. the outgoing pipe has this to.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A well setup system should be able to purge air out of the system on its own, but those are not that common! Any time you open the system, you're likely to add some air into it. If there's enough, and it gets to certain places, it can cause an air lock, and prevent flow. If everything is still getting warm properly and keeping the house comfortable, IF your air eliminators are located well and working properly, they should purge any air out of the system; otherwise, you may need to purge the air manually.

4uzindian

Reaction score
he the tech said it s ok .the house is warm hot going out hot coming back in the pipes. so your telling me the hum is from probably air in the pipes. and not from a bad circulating pump or something in the boiler ?: I'll not try to purge just yet till I hear back from you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could just be the pump is getting noisy...it's really hard to say without being there and hearing it. In the process of moving things around, it could just be that one or more of the pipes moved and is now contacting something, transmitting noise you didn't hear before to the framing of the house. It will take some detective work to try to isolate where the noise is coming from, then maybe just try touching the pipe in various places (maybe with some gloves on so you don't burn yourself) and see if you can change the sound or eliminate it.

4uzindian

Reaction score
Monday . thermostat reads 70. thermostat set at 65 degrees. this 2:30 afternoon. don't hear any hum or noise. yesterday I turned the auto fill adjustment counter clock wise from the the 10 o clock position to 5 o clock position. thinking might help. and when the teck installed new # 15 expansion tank he left it at the 12lb .he didn't raise it to 15lbs. which most people recommend that I've read in the forums. I'm going to see how things run the next day and repost. of your answer about the circulator pump the bearings after 25 years could be going bad. and sending vibrations thru the outgoing pipe. it was humming this morning. but not now.as far purging the the system I'll wait .I did try towels between pipes and rafters to see if hum went away. will post tomorrow.

4uzindian

Reaction score
February 18 Tuesday. put thermostat to 70 . heats good .since I turned down the auto fill from 10 o'clock position to 5 o clock pos. there is still a slight hum in the living room. you think it needs to be purged or the circulator pump bearings are going bad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks