1985 Electrical Code, Bathroom Circuit Amperage in Georgia

Users who are viewing this thread

Dr.Lightning

Reaction score
In Georgia, I have a rental house built in 1985. At that time, what was code for the amperage of the circuit serving the bathroom? This house has a single 15A breaker for a circuit serving both the master and adjacent guest bathroom, each a full bathroom. I know that code requires a 20A circuit now, but what about back then? (Tenant's 2000W hair dryer plus bright bathroom lights consume 14.7+3.8=18.5A and trip the breaker after a few minutes. No halogen bulbs available for light fixture, although that wouldn't matter anyway with the hair dryer drawing 14.7A and randomly 15.1A on my clamp-on meter.)

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
In 1984 the bathroom circuit could be a general purpose circuit of 15 amps but the receptacle was required to be Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter protected. Even the kitchen circuits could be a 15 amp circuit but the kitchens were to be 20 amps in the 1990 cycle.

The requirement for the bathroom receptacle to be on a 20 amp circuit came about in the 1996 cycle.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks