1981 American Standard Cadet with 4083 Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

ClassicTVMan1981

Reaction score

This American Standard toilet (not mine, BTW), supposedly a Cadet model 2120, has a 4083 tank with a date stamp of "MAR 21 1" inside the tank (watch closely around 0:06), which leads me to believe this tank was made March 21, 1981. Most people posit the 4083 tank was not available until the following year (1982). In any case, the 4083 series tank replaced the 1962-vintage 4049 series.

Thus I must ask: are there any other 1981 American Standard toilets with the 4083.024 tank (4083.031 for Baby Devoro)?

~Ben

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So you have the old $80 A/S Plebe there? We pull and toss those all the time.
What's the question?

plebe-tank-01.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You won't find anything that old except in a junk yard. They have been illegal to sell since about 1993. It's time to get into the 21st century.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Who really cared if they were making them at that time? We ordered by the combination's number and did not care what the "part numbers" were for the tank, or bowl, that came in it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
4083-tank-1.jpg

This tank cracked while the homeowner as still at home and was able to turn the water off.

4083-tank-2.jpg

They replaced with one of these.

cst454-yellow.jpg

TOTO CST454CEFG as a replacement.
Now they can get rid of the plunger that the old toilet needed.

Reaction score
I'm really hoping to replace this with a 1983 Cadet 2120, 2109 or 2108.
I think the OP (original poster) is aware they can buy a new toilet on their own.

Those that can't help, shouldn't be force feeding the persuasion of a new toilet down the OP's throat if they haven't asked for "What else should I buy?". The OP was very being rather specific on what they are looking for.

Please do keep us updated with your progress, and a nice pic of the bathroom after having it installed would be great.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Porcelain is not a forever thing.
I realize that there are plenty of people out there that like that old stuff. What they don't always bargain for is the failures that can also occur with old clay. For instance; Crane had some tanks that failed, and pretty recent stuff. It's one thing to repair what you have, hoping to push it along, but my feeling is that once a bowl is pulled, it makes way more sense to install something with some shelf life left in it.

What I do with old American Standard toilets

Last edited:

Kk7218

Reaction score
I realize that there are plenty of people out there that like that old stuff. What they don't always bargain for is the failures that can also occur with old clay. For instance; Crane had some tanks that failed, and pretty recent stuff. It's one thing to repair what you have, hoping to push it along, but my feeling is that once a bowl is pulled, it makes way more sense to install something with some shelf life left in it.
Not sure if this is where to post, but I have in good condition a lid for the 4083 tank and the toilet (tank cracked) if anyone is interested. Color is almond close to today’s bone.

American Standard had Bone
Kohler had Almond

Last edited by a moderator:

Tominabox

Reaction score

What I do with old American Standard toilets

What do you mean porcelain is not a forever thing? It can last forever if it is not abused and was fired in the kiln properly and the slip was mixed properly. Toilets do require new internal plastic parts from time to time depending on your water, but the porcelain should last forever.

I recently had a general contractor upgrade my bathroom and he wanted to replace the entire toilet, saying that it needed to be completely rebuilt. I replaced the flapper which was failing and it is working as good as new, saving hundreds of dollars and keeping all that porcelain and other materials out of the landfill.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1963 Standard 4083 tank, replaced the flapper this week, it needed the 5.0 gallon flapper for it to flush enough water to clear the bowl.
This was for a wall hung toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks