1980s American Standard diverter issue

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jbass524, Oct 13, 2013.

1. jbass524

jbass524 New Member

We have an older American Standard shower fixture with, what seems to be, a bad diverter valve. Water to the faucet or shower head is never completely on or off.

I've looked all over to try and find any evidence of the model and/or replacement parts. Any help in finding some information would be appreciated.

A solution other than replacing the whole thing would be incredible.

Thanks

IMAG0021.jpg IMAG0017.jpg
  2. Smooky

Smooky Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  3. jbass524

jbass524 New Member

Thank you Smooky. It sounds like a diverter and the stems aren't so particular to a model but to a dimension.

Will I need to measure and compare what I take out to the one I order or is there another designation I need to look for on the parts I remove?

Thank you again for your time.
  4. Smooky

Smooky Member

Turn off the water and let it drain out. It is good to turn off the hot water heater while the water is off. Take out the hot and cold stems and the diverter. Take them with you to a hardware store. Most big box hardware stores have books with pictures of stems or there may be examples to look at and compare. Match up what you have and get a match.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/webapp/c...&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=SearchAll#/?c=1