1970's Delta single handle bath valve, springs, seats.........very confused......

Users who are viewing this thread

tom-rad

Reaction score
Hi,
This old fixture has turned into a can of worms....
I had a constant drip, soon a steady stream running all the time, like the water was turned on. So, pulled valve apart and bought Delta RP4993 repair kit with spring and seat set. Also, new dome nut (that was fun to remove).
Found Delta made a few upgrades over the years. When I pulled the springs and seats out, found the old springs were much longer than the ones in the Delta kit. Went to Ace Hardware, they have a 4202586 spring & seat kit for pre 1976 units.
So my question is.....should I use the new 'Made in Taiwan' Ace brand springs with the genuine USA made Delta seats, use the original 1970's springs with the new Delta seats, or use the entire Ace 'Made in Taiwan' 4202856 kit?
Just a little confused as to the best way to go, the seats are slightly different looking (although either one looks like it will work). I've seen kits with both type seats included.
Delta original part number for the unit I have is RP134, I believe. Think it's a 600 series.
Thanks for any help.
I want to use the best quality stuff (for durability), but maybe Delta no longer makes the RP134 springs and seats, so have to go with Taiwan made?
Not sure who makes the Ace parts, probably Danco?
Thanks again for your help!

delta_600_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You will find that few companies make ANY of their own parts, and especially for older models. So buy whatever is available. Seat and spring must be a set....do not try to mix old and new styles.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "new" made in USA seats do NOT work with pre 1976 faucets OR springs. It takes a different, longer seat, (and should look a "lot" different), which would usually come with the longer springs.

tom-rad

Reaction score
Thanks hj. I got the job done, and it works great. I used the Danco parts with no trouble at all. Only thing I found I don't like is how there is a tiny space between the new dome cap and sleeve. Just enough for the sleeve to not be pressed up against the big o-ring around the valve body. Luckily, my valve is recessed in the wall enough that the escutcheon covers to just over the dome cap slightly. Not sure if I need a gasket between the dome cap and sleeve, or a bigger o-ring between the valve and sleeve.
From what I've read, you are the expert on these Deltas, and I really appreciate the advice. Have found your information to always be right on the money.
Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks