1956 Case Toilet /broken seat

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by mrwil, Jan 24, 2006.

1. mrwil

mrwil New Member

I have a Case toilet build in 1956. Recently the tolet seat cracked on one side. A few days ago the inevitable the other side snapped. I debating if I should replace the toilet seat providing I can find one, which probably won't be its oroginal color (a rose pink) or go to a new toilet. Any suggestions
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

First of all, is the toilet working properly? Second, how important is it to you that the seat be a matching rose color? Third, is this a seldom used toilet or one used everyday? Finally, is it important to you to just get by for now or do you want to do the job right and modernize the bathroom? It seems to me to pretty much a matter of your opinion on those questions to do a $20 fix or several hundred $$ for a new toilet. One could easily argue that a 50 year old toilet has lived its life and should be retired. I would warn you that 50 years ago toilets were installed differently than today so some plumbing on the drain will likely be required to install a new one. It's your call.
  3. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Call a good supply house and see if OLSONITE makes seats that will color match and fit the old Case. Be sure you have the year and silhouette. There was a post the other day that pictured all the old Case toilets and listed repair parts.

Seems to me that there is no difference in setting the old Case other than it's hard to set because you can't see the closet bolts. It's a 12" rough and a regular closet flange. You should be able to set any toilet there, but I would opt to keep the old one. Put on a new seat and do a repair.
  4. plumbernj

plumbernj In the Trades

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2006