1930s Top Fill American Standard Toilet Parts Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Tucson Old House

Reaction score
I have a depression era home and it has original American Standard Toilets and Sinks. Both Toilets are top fill units that need internal components. The first toilet is a A/S Purima in Green and the other a A/S Teriston in purple. The issue I am having is that it appears that the ball cock filling valves are wearing out, and I replaced the seat and the ball cock from a local parts place here in Tucson with matching parts 6 months ago and the Teristan won't stop filling unless you put extra force on the float but it was still hissing some. While diagnosing the problem today, the rubber disc on the ball cock was cut by the seat.

So I'm going to order another ball cock (12981?) and attempt the repair again.

I've looked and looked and it appears there are no American Standard top fill valves being made or sold. Anyone know of a source for these new or good used? I would like to replace the valve on both units.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Hmmm. There's a picture here of the Ming Green version of your Teriston toilet from a 1930s remodel: https://books.google.com/books?id=wyr4dvATKNEC&pg=PA33&lpg=PA33&dq=Teriston toilet&source=bl&ots=JcvV6npuCQ&sig=GsLuLY9ehPBMAnFJmHvEciBMlJM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=U_2hVaLPGcLsgwSorJjoCg&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Teriston toilet&f=false

Kewl.

Question: It doesn't look like that tank is anything other than a standard gravity tank although it is hard to tell whether it is screwed to the wall like my 1927-manufactured AS non-close-coupled two-piece toilet. Can you shoot us a photo of the inside of the tank so we can see what we're working with? We may be able to help very easily.

OTOH, you might try calling these guys, who claim to have fill valves for "just about every" AS toilet. I have heard mixed reviews from people who go to their shop (good selection of stuff, fair-enough prices, but countermen more focused on the trade than regular people), but you can't be that way to the people who call your web site if you plan to stay in business. Can't recommend 'em as I haven't dealt with them personally, but here they are: http://www.nyrpcorp.com/american-standard-toilet-fill-valves

Or is this (Curtin-Made AS replacement) the kind of thing you are looking for? http://www.chicagofaucetshoppe.com/Curtin_160_Brass_Fill_Valve_p/cur-160.htm

If so, here's the parts list: http://www.chicagofaucetshoppe.com/American_Standard_Curtin_Valve_CVA_160_s/8327.htm

Last edited:

Kenny Starnes

Reaction score
I have a depression era home and it has original American Standard Toilets and Sinks. Both Toilets are top fill units that need internal components. The first toilet is a A/S Purima in Green and the other a A/S Teriston in purple. The issue I am having is that it appears that the ball cock filling valves are wearing out, and I replaced the seat and the ball cock from a local parts place here in Tucson with matching parts 6 months ago and the Teristan won't stop filling unless you put extra force on the float but it was still hissing some. While diagnosing the problem today, the rubber disc on the ball cock was cut by the seat.

I've looked and looked and it appears there are no American Standard top fill valves being made or sold. Anyone know of a source for these new or good used? I would like to replace the valve on both units.

yes I make a retro fit kit that uses a modern fluidmaster. works great http://www.ebay.com/itm/282588591344?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l264 check it out i have three
1927 top fill standard's. had to come up with something or get rid of my beloved standerd toilets.

Kenny Starnes

Reaction score

Kenny Starnes

Reaction score
I have three old standard top fills. keeping them going has been an every weekend project I had finally had it and hated to get them but could not stand to put a modern toilet in this old house. so i went outside the box took the old problematic fill valve out and came up with a way to replace with a new Fluid master. you can find it at this link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282588591344?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote: but countermen more focused on the trade than regular people),

Noe, that's the kind of countermen I like, especially if they charge the "regular people" more than they charge the trade.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks