1917 Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: I'm putting in a 1917 Toilet. It's an old two-piece, with the tank mounted to the wall and a short water-closet elbow (2") connected to the bowl. Everything looks ok except the 2"spud washers (they seal the tank and bowl together). Anyone see any problems sealing the tank using new spuds and washers from ******? Thanks for any help--Marty.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I question why anyone would reinstall one of these....

Put it in a museum exhibit where it belongs!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This sure seems like a major waste of time. A 91 year old toilet certainly has no place in a home today.

Rombo

Reaction score
yes you can replace the spuds and you will most likely have to replace the bend

last time i checked the bends we not cheap.

Achutch

Reaction score
An end of an era

Earlier this month the 1936 "Standard" MODERNUS in my first floor half bath was removed and replaced with a chair height Cadet 3. Truthfully, I had been trying to avoid using it because my chair height Toto Drake upstairs was more comfortable, my water and sewer rates were raised last year (because they were selling less water), and I could no longer justify dumping 7 gallons of water down the drain when the newer 1.6 toilets do exactly what I need them to do with far less water. I ended up having to use the 7 gallon toilet more because the cat uses the closed lid of the Toto for one of his beds (see picture), and I don't have the heart to disturb him.

Both the Toto Drake and AS Cadet 3 work better than the 5-gallon and 3.5 gallon toilets, and are equal to the 7-gallon toilets. That is, they take everything I can give them in one flush, and both rinse well.

In my CAMP, which is on a gravity water supply from an everflowing brook, the two 7-gallon toilets will remain, since the water and septic are free, the place is seasonal (open 5.5 months of the year), and is used mainly by myself.

Yes, you can replace the spud washers and the elbow. I've rebuilt several of these old tanks and bowls and have not had trouble finding the parts.

achutch

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Anyone who actually wants to install a rear spud toilet with a wall hung tank is a maschist. And if your wife is the one asking you to do it, then she is a sadist and you deserve each other.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Perhaps you, the missus, and the toilet could be part of a museum exhibit on Marquis de Sade. LOL

Jed1154

Reaction score
I think its cool as hell!

I prefer carbureted vehicles and hi flow toilets though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks