1900"s crawfoot tub Mueller faucets

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Marlee, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Marlee

Marlee New Member

Hello,

I live in a historic 1890's home in Canada and want to replace my clawfoot tub faucet with one that has a hand shower. It's in perfect order, not even a small leak and it looks great the manufacturer says Mueller so 1908-1920 maybe?

The centers are 3 3/8. I've seen one on http://www.vintagetub.com asp/product_detail.asp?item_no=P0154QN

that I like but I don't understand the whole supply line recommendation? Could it be that this new faucet will not fit with my old pipes as far as diameter is concerned?

Thank you for any info you can provide.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The connections should be the same as your faucet and should attach directly to it once the faucet is installed. One question I would have is that it specifies that it has a vacuum breaker/backflow preventer, but does not say if that applies to the hand held and the spout, or just the handheld. Typically, that type of bathfaucet is NOT legal because the water outlet is below the rim of the tub. In any case, the way the pictures were taken, it would seem that any vacuum breaker on the faucet itself would still be below the tub's rim which would make it unacceptable for any tub. The #RM376-cp would be a properly installed leg tub faucet with handheld.
  3. Marlee

Marlee New Member

Thank you so much for your reply hj I really appreciate it :) I would prefer the look of Item#: RM375-PN do you think it is also appropriate and legal?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Yes. The determing factor is whether the spout is above the rim or inside the tub. The RM375 has an elevated spout to make it legal, but MORE important, safe.