17" roughin - need toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

AnnK

Reaction score
We have a small bathroom off our kitchen that after our contractor took out the previous toilet found out is a 17" roughin. The largest roughin toilet we can find is 14" and this leaves our tank 7.5" from the wall which looks ridiculous. Unfortunately, our contractor took our previous toilet when we weren't home to compare why the previous one worked so we don't even have the previous one to compare against. Is there any 14" toilet that has a fat tank that we could use to cover up this space?

Please help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

A 14" toilet will put the tank within 1/2" of the wall so adding 3 1/2" for a 17" ruff would make it about 4". If the tank is 7 1/2" from the wall then you have a 10" ruff toilet, not a 14" one.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'd build out the wall a bit behind the toilet. With the right trim, it would look OK. Built right, it would be a dandy place to store toilet paper.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am not aware that ANY 17" rough is made today. And I have never seen one, but I am far from an expert on pre-WWII plumbing, so it is possible someone used to make one. Was there noticeable room behind the old toilet?? It may have been a 14" on that 17" rough.

AnnK

Reaction score
We have a small bathroom off our kitchen that after our contractor took out the previous toilet found out is a 17" roughin. The largest roughin toilet we can find is 14" and this leaves our tank 7.5" from the wall which looks ridiculous. Unfortunately, our contractor took our previous toilet when we weren't home to compare why the previous one worked so we don't even have the previous one to compare against. Is there any 14" toilet that has a fat tank that we could use to cover up this space?

Please help.

Unfortunately, we are unable to move the wall or move the roughin. Our house is only 15 years old so it is fairly new. If we used a 10" roughin that would put the toilet even farther out in the room. Is anyone aware of a toilet with a really fat tank to take up the extra space while still keeping the toilet smaller in the bowl as we have a door swing to contend with as well?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

You are missing the point. To have 7 1/2" behind the tank with your toilet, it would already HAVE TO BE a 10" toilet. A 14" one would only have about 3" behind the tank. In the 40's there were 18" rough toilets with the outlet basically in the center of the base. We had a name for them but it would be politically incorrect these days.

Gear Junkie

Plumber
Reaction score
I'd build out the wall a bit behind the toilet. With the right trim, it would look OK. Built right, it would be a dandy place to store toilet paper.

This is the way to go. The math being described doesn't add up (7 1/2" w/ 14" OC toilet) but the false wall will make it look right. Make sure you still have legroom in front with the 5" gone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks