17 inch rough in...

Users who are viewing this thread

fawnofdawn

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 17 rough-in to the wall. I need a contempory white toilet placed as close to the wall as possible without digging up the drain. The bathroom is very small. Any suggestions and would an Unift Adaptor help?

Reach4

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/ind...t-less-with-baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/including #7 shows how I stretched a 12 inch unifit. You could get a 14 inch unifit and maybe do something similar. Note that I was careful to have the output of the Unifit fit entirely (but barely) over the hole.

I had a closet flange with a bigger opening than most, but maybe you will too. You would still have maybe a couple of inches of gap in the back, but that is a little less than you would have with a regular 14 inch rough-in toilet.

On the other hand, excavating and replacing concrete may not be as hard as you are picturing.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Uni Fit adapter would get your toilet to about 3" from the wall unless you modified it as Reach4 describes. Now, you must understand that the Unifit adapter will only work on select Toto toilets. It is NOT a universal device and it does require a different installation process than other toilets. Some plumbers are afraid of taking this on, although it is not really that hard, just different from what they are accustomed to doing. It requires accurate measuring and some drilling. Being able to read and follow a set of plans is a plus.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The good thing about a 17 inch rough is you can hit the bowl while standing in the hall.

If you can get the unifit to work for you, that would be ideal. You don't want to dig and I don't blame you. You could find out that you shouldn't have after a lot of unpleasant work. You never know what's down there.

fawnofdawn

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/ind...t-less-with-baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/including #7 shows how I stretched a 12 inch unifit. You could get a 14 inch unifit and maybe do something similar. Note that I was careful to have the output of the Unifit fit entirely (but barely) over the hole.

I had a closet flange with a bigger opening than most, but maybe you will too. You would still have maybe a couple of inches of gap in the back, but that is a little less than you would have with a regular 14 inch rough-in toilet.

On the other hand, excavating and replacing concrete may not be as hard as you are picturing.

Can I use this unifit on any brand of toilet? I would like to purchase :
Ariel
Model # CO1003
Internet # 205215355

Reach4

Reaction score
Can I use this unifit on any brand of toilet?
No. You can only use one on toilets designed for unifit. Not all Totos use Unifit, but all toilets that use Unifit are Toto.

Edit: On http://www.totousa.com/products/toilets if you select 14 rough in under the Installation drop-down, you will see only the toilets that take the Unifit. Note that site shows suggested retail, and the good news is that they are often discounted. Vespin II may be the lowest price of these. The bad news is that they all come with the 12 inch Unifit adapter, and you have to buy the 14 inch adapter extra.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The specific models of Toto toilets using the Unifit are all have skirted bases. This is because the Unifit framework needs to be concealed. The good part of this is the skirted toilets are better looking and easier to clean (the outside). There are several models to choose from, but again, the Unifit will only work on these specific Toto models.

fawnofdawn

Reaction score
The specific models of Toto toilets using the Unifit are all have skirted bases. This is because the Unifit framework needs to be concealed. The good part of this is the skirted toilets are better looking and easier to clean (the outside). There are several models to choose from, but again, the Unifit will only work on these specific Toto models.
Thank you for your time and patience...your help has been invaluable! I will check into the appropriate Toto models now...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks