17.5 inch rough in toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for having me...

buying a new, (unfinished house), and the upstairs master bath has a closet flange that is roughed in at 17.5 inches. I have no idea why he didnt move it to the other side of the 2x12 floor joist.

see pic....

well, the drywall and ceiling are finished on the main floor below( this pic is from '06 during construction) and i really dont want to redo that whole living area ceiling. This is a nice house.

my question, how awful is this as a solution: 2" offset flange and toto unifit 14" combined?

Is there another way? I am open to any ideas... I want to do it right, but budget is definitely an issue, as I have a whole lotta house to finish.

thanks,

David

Attachments

• Felix's House - Framing 063.jpg
    Felix's House - Framing 063.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 542

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all offset flanges are created equal...some work, some are a major pain. Personally, I'd avoid them. SHort of maybe making a shelf behind the toilet to take up some of that space, your best bet is to move it. FWIW, the toilet could be sitting out in the middle of the room and still work just fine. IT may also have been a problem with the required minimum slope of the drain line for the toilet...although a few inches horizontallywould not be enough to normally make it too flat. Without peering below the subflooring, it's hard to say why it is where it is...could simply be that they built the wall in a different place than intended, or the plumber wasn't given clear guidelines. Often, some of the walls are not load-bearing, and the plumbing may have been in before the walls were entirely up. Hard to say without being there during construction.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't guess that the spot that an ideal 12 inch rough-in toilet flange would go is where the green mark is, right? Which way should it go, and how much space is there between the existing flange and the joist?
img3.jpg

Reaction score
thanks for the replies... I wish the green circle were the ideal spot. :)

The joist is directly in the way. From the best I can figure, the plumber just hit the wrong cavity. the flange, and subsequent plumbing should be on the other side of the joist.

The flange is tight against joist.

I think my only options are toto 14" flange, as the ceilings are all finished now below this. The problem is that I'll have to buy matching bidet as that closet has both.

has anyone ever combined a 2" offset flange with a toto unifit 14"?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the existing flange is tight against the joist, you should not try to use the offset flange. FWIW, the majority of strength in a joist is from the upper and lower edges. Notching the top or bottom essentially converts that joist to the nominal height of what's left. It is the playing off of tension on the bottom and compression on the top edge that provide most of the flexural strength...the middle part just holds those two edges in place (and is more obvious from an I-joist or I-beam, or truss where there may be little in the middle).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks