15" space from center of toilet to obstacle...

Users who are viewing this thread

K9mlxj

Reaction score
Hi,

While looking @ toilet placement, I am aware of the code requirement of 15" min. space from center of toilet to next fixture.

However looking at this photo from a hotel bathroom, the toilet seems to be so close to the glass fixture of the shower it seems to be less than 15"?

Is this still code compliant?

Bathroom with Shower.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's 15" from the centerline of the toilet, and without being there, it's hard to say whether it meets today's code or not. They may have given them a break on the shower side since the door can be opened. I do not know when that code feature was implemented, and that place may have been okay when it was originally built.

K9mlxj

Reaction score
This picture is from the Hyatt hotel website.

So if I'm redoing a shower and the toilet sits next to the shower door I shouldn't place the toilet less than 15" from the shower door then (would be great if allowed as every inch counts in a small bathroom).

The next question is a corner vanity --

is there a similar requirement that the center of the vanity sink needs to be at least 15" from the obstacle. If it's a small 20" vanity the center of the sink is only 10" from the wall -- is that ok (code)?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Its probably an older building that had a remodel/update for the hotel. I'm just glad to see a hotel with a shower and not one of those tubs with a 4 foot high shower head. It looks nice to me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just to be clear...that 15" requirement is from the CENTERLINE of the toilet to any obstruction. Depending on the actual width of the toilet, there may not be a lot of space to that obstruction. Most modern tanks are smaller than the older ones.

Don't know about clearances for a sink. From a practical viewpoint, it would be more comfortable if there were some space to stand behind it and not have your shoulder brushing the wall and, since if there's a mirror, it's usually centered over the sink, being able to actually see yourself in it would be nice! If I remember, from the outside of the vanity, there needs to be 2' of clearance to be able to walk by without issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks