15 in rough in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jcreefer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Like a few of you on this board, I am a "weekend plumber". I am currently in the midst of remodeling our bathroom and has reached the point of replacing the old Norris toilet. I should've measured the rough-in before I set out to Home Depot and bought a Kohler Memoir (because the wife liked the look of it). Went home, put the toilet on, only to discover that the tank is approximately 3" from the wall.

I measured the rough-in and it is 15in!!! I proceed to take the toilet out and return it to HD. Spoke with the sales rep and they say that most manufacturers make the toilets in 10, 12, and 14in sizes. So is my best bet to get one with 14in? I know there should be about ~1in gap between the wall and the toilet. Has anyone encountered this type of problem? Anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks
-Jeff

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Build a nice 3" shelf that your wife can decorate on and tell her you did it just for her. She will think that you are just so thoughtfull.

Or make a nice 3" magazine rack to hold bathroom reading material.

Jcreefer

Reaction score
Cass said:
Build a nice 3" shelf that your wife can decorate on and tell her you did it just for her. She will think that you are just so thoughtfull.

Or make a nice 3" magazine rack to hold bathroom reading material.

Funny thing is that idea has come across on my mind. In fact the guy at HD recommended building a "3in false wall" just to hide the extra space. I really don't want to do any more extra work. Like my engineering prof used to say: "KISS". I'm going to look around for a 14in rough in toilet.

Thanks
-Jeff

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm just guessing but you may want to revisit my ideas once you price one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
14"

Not that big a deal, and maybe very little price difference, since most manufacturers now use a 12" bowl and make the tank 2" deeper to create a 14" toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks