$14k - Completed DIY Bathroom Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

DougB

Reaction score
From a previous post I listed the bill of materials:

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-bathroom-remodel-heres-the-actual-costs.57862/

Here is the final result:

Toilet_1.jpg
Tub_1.jpg
Vanity_1.jpg
Vanity_2.jpg
Bath_2.jpg
Bath_1.jpg

Toilet_1.jpg

Tub_1.jpg
Vanity_1.jpg
Vanity_2.jpg

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
way to go Minnesota.....a cozy basement retreat..14K sounds fair for a tight budget diy project..

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are a lot of premium products in that install, and the price reflects that. Had it been contracted out, the price would have been considerably higher (at least double, and probably more). He did a professional level job on it. Lots of research into it, and it paid off.

DougB

Reaction score
IMG_8974.jpg

Whats the circular white grill for Doug. Never seen one like that at that elevation before. Is it some kind of body warmer?

It's a shower drying fan. It's not a vented - it just circulates the air - dries the shower in an hour - virtually no mold. I put them on a timer.

In previous bathrooms I made these using FanTech axial fans - and put the grill in the ceiling. But I couldn't put the grill in this ceiling - cause we have hot water hydronic heat in the ceilings.

This fan is high up - on the wall in the hall - the 4" duct is a dryer duct.

http://www.tjernlund.com/sure-dry-systems.htm

Last edited:

DougB

Reaction score
way to go Minnesota.....a cozy basement retreat..14K sounds fair for a tight budget diy project..

Thanks Terry, RedShoe, Jim, John. From demo to completion it was about 14 months.

This took a lot longer than I planned. What I underestimated was that of the 350 sq/ft of 12" wall tile - that there are really 10 walls - which made for a lot of cuts. Also my wife wanted that decorative mosaic strip - which made for even more cuts. I bet I cut 30% of the tile. Unlike floor tile where you can lay it out, with the wall tile, I had to cut as I went. It's really a two man job. So I wound up doing - 12 to 15 sq/ft every Saturday & Sunday. The Ardex X77 is a real nice thinset.

I spent a lot of time measuring for the lighting / mirror / wall hung vanity - there's no room for adjustment. That wall hung vanity was also a pain - I had to put it together to figure out where the plumbing connections should be.

I shimmed the studs to make them flat. Considering what a PITA that was - I think you could mud the walls in the same (or less time) and have them perfectly flat.

We have had good sucess with Grohe products - but they have horrible documentation - 2 point type - pictures the size of a matchbook, same instructions for different products, and when you're on step 6, they say go to step 9 o_O If I were a plumber - I'd add a couple hrs just to install that stuff.

Hope these notes helps some other DIY'er!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've had success from Grohe to get them to send me a PDF of some instructions. That way, you can blow them up to any size you want. If you have a place to store them, you can put a lot more of the documentation in one place (say a DVD-ROM or similar) with less clutter.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks Doug. Great project.

I think the grill needs to be custom. Can you make a new grill cover out of a scrap tile?

Maybe cut some slots in.... Drill some holes (maybe at upward angle making them ovals).

I think the white grill at that elevation takes away from the look of your great tile job. I would make a new grate or grill. Maybe spray paint it a colour closer to the tile....

Maybe the folks at the Designer Drains can make one for you. Custom Baby.

I think you need to throw another $150.00 at this job. Then your done done.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
[QUOTE="We have had good sucess with Grohe products - but they have horrible documentation - 2 point type - pictures the size of a matchbook, same instructions for different products, and when you're on step 6, they say go to step 9 o_O If I were a plumber - I'd add a couple hrs just to install that stuff."[/QUOTE]

Yep! Grohe and HansGrohe take time and time. I hate their instructions.

DougB

Reaction score
Thanks Doug. Great project.

I think the grill needs to be custom. Can you make a new grill cover out of a scrap tile?

Maybe cut some slots in.... Drill some holes (maybe at upward angle making them ovals).

I think the white grill at that elevation takes away from the look of your great tile job. I would make a new grate or grill. Maybe spray paint it a colour closer to the tile....

Maybe the folks at the Designer Drains can make one for you. Custom Baby.

I think you need to throw another $150.00 at this job. Then your done done.

I don't like the grill either. I was going to look for a 4" nickel or brushed stainless. You have any sources of supply?

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
You have a nice bathroom there , Doug . Great job !

I would recommend you something chromed for that environment -- grill replacement -- , maybe something custom .

The easiest way would be just to chrome the plastic grill you have in there . Not sure how long it will last , but will definitely make it look nicer . :)

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
1/3 Basement finish. 1/4bath steam room combo, completed in phases over the span of 8 months. 2013 thru now.! The client just now is doing the painting (as i do grout maintanence) in he shower that's has been well used for 6 months now and functioning quite well! although i should have used epoxy grout ( note to self)

..... The jobs almost but never done!!! and came in at close to 30K with the homeowner acting as general but not hands on per say.......very budget minded. 6K plumbing, 12K custom steam shower and a lot of good materials 3K framing/planning, 3K electrical and the rest being materials.

just a pricing expample for folks in this locale to base from.

curbless steam shower basement.jpg

basement steam shower Mpls.jpg

photo.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks