14 YO Rheem hot water heater ONLY drips water when heating

Users who are viewing this thread

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
DonL, it looks like we are going back to the possibility that the water is from a small leak and adjustments to the tank's flame and drafting may have temporarily masked the leak. See my post from yesterday @ 12:14 pm.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
DonL, it looks like we are going back to the possibility that the water is from a small leak and adjustments to the tank's flame and drafting may have temporarily masked the leak. See my post from yesterday @ 12:14 pm.

If the OP seen a problem in the Flue it needs to be fixed, I think you may be barking up the wrong tree.

When Gas burns it makes water, If that water is dripping back onto the burner you have a flew or draft problem.

Just saying...

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you reread his posts you may notice that he is referring to the flue in the body of the tank,which can not be fixed.

Last edited:

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If chimansaurus replies to my previous post regarding the tankless then we will address flue piping arrangements outside of the tank. He seems like a 'can do' type of person who will solve the issue regardless of the obstacle and we should be willing to look more at what his needs are and not focus on dissecting posts from other members to satisfy our egos.

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
With an increased flame (burner) and a sudden recurrence of the drip, the diagnosis would be in favor of a leak as the metal expands from the heat and water from the hole in the tank overcomes the burners ability to evaporate it. An obstructed flue above the tank typically shows different symptoms and condensation would be sizzling and/or dripping above the tank in the flue piping.
The CO detectors would probably also go off.

chimansaurus

Reaction score
Thank you very much for reading the post and adding your comments. It is OK to make fun of me a little bit. :)
I used my tiny phone camera and turned the flame off while it was dripping and sizzling to take lots of photos. I wrapped my arm with a wet towel and did not get burnt while taking photos. I will transfer the photos from phone to PC and upload here soon. I live in northern rural Illinois and it is very humid here in summer.
I asked a guy who works for the gas company about the size, capacity etc. of the water heater and he recommended this particular tank-less heater which he has in his house. I have a small family and any regular small HWH should suffice he said. I also got a great deal on it.
The tank-less water heater is just sitting there in the basement for the time being while I am still trying to diagnose and fix the old HWH.
I will try to poke the collapsed flue fin with a metal rod and try to make it straight and post my results soon.
I am not going to replace the old HWH unless I am through with all kinds fixing, testing, patching, poking, straightening etc.
:D

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would hate to see you chasing your tail in this situation and invest in an unsatisfactory product at the recommendation of a person who is not familiar with how these appliances work. If you are lucky, like super really lucky, the distorted flue baffle is the only problem and can actually be removed by disconnecting the flue piping on the top of the tank. Replacement parts can be ordered through the manufacturer.
However, I can't ever recommend a home owner attempting to modify parts of the water heater that have been specifically designed by the manufacturer to perform in a detailed function. Safety is the highest concern in these circumstances. Since you have shown that you have the financial resources to purchase another heater, why not just replace the existing tank with a newer match?
Adding a tankless water heater to an arrangement for a standard gas fired tank requires a good amount of work. Without any information on the new tankless unit it's hard to tell, You will probably need changes to the piping, flue or even electrical upgrades that cost more time and money than what it is worth. You also need to determine your demand of water for the fixtures in gallons per minute and the needed temperature rise to accommodate the fixtures when there is demand. What works for one person may not work for another.
Go ahead and continue to do as you will, but keep in mind that these appliances could be dangerous if not treated with respect and handled with care.

chimansaurus

Reaction score
I read about the tank-less HWH. Some people love them, some people hate them. Are they really a PITA?

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I read about the tank-less HWH. Some people love them, some people hate them. Are they really a PITA?

I wouldn't say they are a PITA, but they are a different appliance and have their own requirements to perform properly. Maybe do some research online and get more information.
Out of curiosity what size tankless did you get? Look for BTUs and gallons per minute or even make and model. Also, how many total fixtures do yo have that require hot water including dishwasher, clothes washer, all sinks and showers. This will help determine your demand.

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I agree.

And hope the new one made in China last as long as the old one.

Yep, Yep.
Why would you think his next water heater would be made in China? His old one was probably made in Montgomery, Alabama. The Mexico manufacturing plant distributes mostly overseas. Rheem also makes GE, but GE just poured a few hundred million dollars into a hybrid water heater plant in Tennessee. There are plenty of USA made brands out there who also manufacture in other countries for closer distribution.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The further north you live or the deeper your well is, can present very big problems and performance issues with any tankless system! Good luck with that, and expect to perform an annual cleaning/maintenance on it to maintain performance. Of the brands out there, Bosch has not shown itself to be the greatest tankless unit. While you're putting it in, make sure to provide the necessary valves and connections to be able to demineralize the heat exchanger. Unless you have very soft water, expect to clean it at least once a year.

And, unless you are lucky, you'll probably have to run a new gas line, especially if you chose one that will actually heat the water enough in the winter-time up north if you want more than a few gallons/minute. They show great outputs at 35-degree (F) rise, but in the winter, your water might be coming in at close to freezing...how would you like your shower at say 70-degrees F? The only way to make it hotter is to go with a bigger unit or to decrease your flow - you may be able to do that, but if there's more than one person in the house, and someone else turns on some hot water...you could be in for a surprise! A tankless can work nearly anywhere IF it is properly sized and the users understand the limitations.

Last edited:

chimansaurus

Reaction score
Thanks again for your comments. I want to install the Bosch tank-less HWH myself.

chimansaurus

Reaction score
Update:
I removed the collapsed flue from inside the HWH. Everything is working fine now. No more drips for 3+ weeks now, heating water like a champion now. I have the new tank-less HWH sitting next to it just in case. I installed an additional Carbon Monoxide and Fire detector next to the HWH. Also designed and made a moisture detector alarm and it is monitoring the basement floor round the clock (I taught Electronic Engineering back in the day). I replaced the burner plate door with a heavy duty sheet metal shield with holes for better air circulation. Those drips were nothing but condensation drips due to the collapsed flue. I would say the root cause is bad workmanship and/or design on Rheem's part. I will update again if the HWH fails or something else happens.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks