14-inch Rough-In. Standard hight like 14 to 14.5 inches what toilet? HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reneecase

Reaction score
I wanted to get a TOTO toilet after reading about them on this forum and how they have the The Unifit adapter and how this will prevent the toilet from sticking so far out into the room as other 14 inch rough in toilets. I need one that is a standard hight as in 14" to 14.5" high to the top of the seat to fit my bathroom with a 14 inch rough in. Is there a TOTO toilet like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto is the only manufacturer that makes toilets with such an adapter. These adapters will work on several Toto models, but not all, and they will NOT fit other brands. These come with a 12" adapter standard, but you would need to purchase the 14" adapter ($40) for your specific need. No credit for the 12" unfortunately. I do not know if these come in the standard height, most toilets today are universal height. I would not let this be a deciding factor. The height of a toilet does not affect the rough-in fit. These are high quality toilets and will serve you well.

Reneecase

Reaction score
The plumbers promised me a standard height toilet with an elongated bowl, with a 14 inch rough-in, with a dual flush feature and a soft close lid. They delivered a toilet that was gigantic and definitely a so called "comfort height" it had none of the features promised except it was elongated and the same brand that was promised. I objected of course and they are trying to replace the toilet and have asked me what I would like, because it turns out that the toilet that they promised does not come in the 14 inch rough in. During the time that I have had the "comfort height" toilet, I have discovered that my feet do not reach the floor when I sit on it. Because of this my legs go numb if I am on it for an extended period of time to do what a lady usually insists that they never need to do on a toilet. I find it hard to stand up when I have numb legs. To this end I have gotten a squatty potty to make the situation safer. Now I am not a young women, I am 5" 0" tall, and I like to plan for the future. I can see a day in the next 20 years when I might fall to my death getting off of this toilet because my legs have gone numb. I hope to die in this house but not like that. I know that this sounds dramatic, but I am a hospice nurse and see what happens when elderly people fall. For this reason I feel that it is important that I have a standard hight toilet. I have measured how high the toilet can be and I can reach the floor with flat feet. If I am wearing shoes that is 14.5 inches, a little less if barefoot. Unfortunately my desire for a standard hight toilet is a matter of safety, and I believe it is more important than any of the other features that I was previously looking for in a toilet. There is one Kohler toilet which I am considering the Wellworth Class Five Toilet K-3948-U
http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/K-3948-U_spec.pdf
I was hopping for a TOTO toilet with a Unifit adapter to reduce the toilets foot print and also because it seems to have better reviews. Do you have any other suggestions that might work in my situation?

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Hi Reneecase,

Here are some suggestions: Gerber Viper 1.28 gpf elongated. It is considered standard height at 15-1/8" and 14" rough-in. It extends 32" from the rear finished wall to the front edge of the bowl. Model number is WS-21-514. While it's not offered in a dual flush model, it is considered a HET and uses 1.28 gallons per flush. From the research I've done, this averages out to be about the same water usage as a 1.6/1.1 gpf dual flush. The Viper uses standard tank components, for which repair/replacement parts are readily available and very easy to do-it-yourself.

Gerber offers the Ultra Flush 1.1 gpf elongated (model #EF-21-314). It has a bowl height of 14.5" and extends 32-1/4" back-to-front. It is a pressure-assist toilet, utilizing the Sloan Flushmate. They're great when working properly. Repairs are complicated for the average DIY-er and parts are more expensive.

Finally, Gerber's Maxwell Dual-Flush elongated (#DF-21-914) has a bowl height of 14-7/8" and extends into the room 31-5/8". This seems to meet all of your criteria. As with the pressure-assist, repair parts are more expensive for a dual-flush than for a basic gravity flush toilet.

I hope this helps!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All of the TOTO models that use the Unifit come in "Universal" height. 16-1/8" high bowl.

It sounds like your best bet would be a very standard height bowl with 12" rough-in.
Bowl height on these is 14-5/8"
An elongated CST744E would stick out from the wall 31" to end of bowl
The round CST743E would stick out from the wall 29-1/2" to end of bowl.
You would have 3" between the tank and the wall.

The lowest dual flush from TOTO is the CST416M, with bowl height of 15-1/8" and would be 30" to end of bowl on a 14" rough.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/K-3948_spec.pdf

img_1.png

Click Inbox above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Notice on the drawing above how the trapway is horizontal, then makes an abrupt 90-degree bend to go down the drain? That is the mark of a poorly designed toilet that is more prone to clogging than one with a more rounded path. It's easier to make, though.

Toto only makes a few dual-flush toilets, and nearly all of their entire model line is a bit taller than you wanted.

FWIW, my doctor told me if you need to sit longer than 3-minutes, you may have problems with your diet and fiber content.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Universal height is approximately the same as a dining room chair. This has become the new "standard height"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, while you may not like the look, on a 14" RI, you can use any standard toilet, you'll just have progressively more room behind, and it will stick into the room more. The only one that will stay in exactly the same position with the same exact toilet is a Toto when matched to the proper UniFit adapter. Most 14" RI toilets are 12" ones with a thicker tank to take up some of the room. Toto uses the same toilet and offers various UniFit adapters for SOME of their toilets.

Reneecase

Reaction score
For the record I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The best way to prevent injuring myself when constipated is by taking my time.

Reneecase

Reaction score
Here is the thing dinning room chairs are kind of high for me. Keep in mind I am 5' tall. When I shopped for outdoor furniture I looked for something that had low seats because I wanted to be able to reach the ground with my feet. It was only available in a very expensive brand but it is an investment and it is comfortable for me to sit on. Most people don't understand how the world is set up for people who are tall. I am in the 3rd percentile for hight for women in my age group. I buy petite pants and have to hem them because they are too long. I really don't need a universal hight toilet or a comfort hight toilet for to make it easier for me to stand up from the toilet when I grow old the standard hight will be tall enough. My dinning room chairs are too big for me honestly.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I light of your particular needs, I think you might well want to consider either a 12" rough-in toilet. A 12" would give you a fairly large space between the tank and the wall, but you would have a huge variety of models to chose from. A 14" would set closer to the wall, but there are fewer models to choose from. Any Toto would provide an excellent performing toilet. If I had understood you were only 5 feet tall, I would not have suggested the universal height.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I light of your particular needs, I think you might well want to consider either a 12" rough-in toilet. A 12" would give you a fairly large space between the tank and the wall, but you would have a huge variety of models to chose from. A 14" would set closer to the wall, but there are fewer models to choose from. Any Toto would provide an excellent performing toilet. If I had understood you were only 5 feet tall, I would not have suggested the universal height.
Unless you've personally tested and used a product you're recommending, it's misleading to use a statement such as, "Any Toto would provide an excellent performing toilet...." It has been pointed out on this forum several times that the Toto Rowan and Carusoe toilets are underachievers and are not recommended. Even if they are the world's largest manufacturer of toilets and generally perform well, not all Toto products are sure-fires and they are not immune to a defect here and there. Not dissing the company or you, Gary. I'm just saying that when someone looks to this forum for advice, I think it is the responsibility of the regular posters to make sure that their advice is accurate.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe both the Rowan and Carusoe were short lived models and were discontinued years ago.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks