14/3 Uses

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by dlarrivee, Apr 6, 2011.

1. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Is it out of the ordinary or not allowed to switch (2 switches, 2 gang box) both the black hot and red hot conductors with 14/3 cable?

I'd like to run power to the 2 gang box from the panel, then run 14/3 from the 2 gang box to the vanity light, and from there 14/2 for the exhaust fan.
  2. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

Sounds good,
    On my work I would generally run 14/2 on the power leg and 14/3 on the switched legs. Gave me the option of switching lights and fans separately, also made it easier to wire up the boxes if I had a 14/2 I knew it was the power into the box, and if I had the 14/3 I knew it was going out of the switch to the fixture.
    Michael
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
  3. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

That is exactly what I'm planning to do, I figure it would be a cleaner installation that way. I only need 2 feet of 14/2 to go from my light box to my fan this way...