125' Well at Maine camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ringwood

Reaction score
Hi All,
New guy here, great forum...!

I had a well drilled at my summer camp in central Maine a couple years ago. I am just now getting around to setting it up. I will dig down 5' and put the pitless in.

I am planing to build a small shed over the well to house the pressure tank and controls. From there I am going to run a 'garden' hose the 100 feet to the camps pluming. The digging is tough, and for summer use I don't see spending the money to trench from the well to the camp.

If I am coming straight up to the surface from the pitless and to the tank, what type of pipe would be best?

Thanks,
Ring

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I would not use garden hose of any size.

I would use one piece of 3/4" or 1" 160 psi rated (if you bury it, 75 psi if) PE (polyethylene) pipe. It uses insert/barbed fittings and hose clamps.

You could bury it some to keep in out of sight, or not, and disconnect it each fall to drain/winterize things.

If you use a pitless you would have to drain the line down to it too. The best way to do that is to pull the pitless apart lifting the pump until the water stops flowing back into the well and reinstall it. You need to do that due to the check valve in/on a submersible pump's outlet.

Last edited:

Ringwood

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was told there is a 'drain back valve' that I could install in the well. At 10 psi or less, it opens and drains the system. If I shut the pump off and open a faucet, the pressure would drop and the system would drain back. Is this a common item?

Thanks again,
Ring

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
the hose is a bit sketchy but I suppose if you buy a good one it should be OK. I understand that it's a whole lot easier to disconnect and roll up in the winter time. As for the drain back valve, you can get one but it would be just as easy to crack the pitless adaptor and let what little was in the pump house drain there.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A regular brass bleeder orifice will make a good drain back. Just don’t use a check valve above the bleeder or above ground anywhere. When you shut off power to the pump and drain out the water from a faucet, the pressure hits 0 and the bleeder opens and drains to that point. Don’t put the bleeder any deeper than about 10' from surface.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks