120 PSI fresh water from town - Going to install a PRV

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Gary - Thanks... The irrigation system does have a Watts back flow preventer valve.

Sounds like you are good to go.

If you get caught watering the lawn or washing the car in some places around here, You pay a big fine.

Enjoy.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
No where in this discussion do I see any mention of back flow prevention. It seems everything just tees off the line from the meter. I realize the problem in point is the excess pressure, but unless you have a back flow prevention device for the irrigation line, you should look into this.
I would have asked about that, but it's Long Island, where questions about sprinkler system backflow prevention don't seem to go anywhere good.

Last edited:

Philtrap

Reaction score
I would have asked about that, but it's Long Island, where questions about sprinkler system backflow prevention don't seem to go anywhere good.

Hey !? "anywhere good" !? JK FYI the installer installed a Watts valve that sells for about $150. At the time of installation, I didn't know what or why they were needed, but now I do ...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good for the installer! Now, you should know that this is a mechanical device and will eventually need new O rings to keep it functioning properly. My city required an annual inspection by a certified inspector. My inspector charges $35 for the inspection. Repairs are not usually needed, but when they are it usually consists of some O rings...simple and inexpensive. I would urge you to have this done each spring even if not required by your city.

Philtrap

Reaction score
Good for the installer! Now, you should know that this is a mechanical device and will eventually need new O rings to keep it functioning properly. My city required an annual inspection by a certified inspector. My inspector charges $35 for the inspection. Repairs are not usually needed, but when they are it usually consists of some O rings...simple and inexpensive. I would urge you to have this done each spring even if not required by your city.

That's something I didn't know. Thanks Gary. Mine is about 9 years old and I've never had it looked at. I'll have it checked. I did a search on youtube and there was a video from a guy in Tennessee who shows how to do it and he said it was required there yearly. I'm not sure about New York, but I'm surprised that this is the first I've heard of this. By that I mean there are no sales people or ads that are telling everyone that it's needed. You would think a plumber would jump on this since most homes around hear have irrigation systems and at $35 a pop they could make some mula. :)

EDIT - I did some research and it's required. It's a fairly new law but most posters that talk about it think it's a joke...

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That's something I didn't know. Thanks Gary. Mine is about 9 years old and I've never had it looked at. I'll have it checked. I did a search on youtube and there was a video from a guy in Tennessee who shows how to do it and he said it was required there yearly. I'm not sure about New York, but I'm surprised that this is the first I've heard of this. By that I mean there are no sales people or ads that are telling everyone that it's needed. You would think a plumber would jump on this since most homes around hear have irrigation systems and at $35 a pop they could make some mula. :)

EDIT - I did some research and it's required. It's a fairly new law but most posters that talk about it think it's a joke...

It is probably not worth a plumbers time to test them.

The Government gets the money.

What a Legal Scam.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Backflow preventers are a safety device, that, should they fail can compromise the health of a whole neighborhood. So, testing the mechanical devices that WILL eventually fail, is a good thing. It's in the same line as (at least in most places) getting your car inspected every year or two. Especially on a new car, is this really necessary? Probably not, but it's still required, because failures DO happen, and it can affect not only the driver, but his passengers, and anyone else on the road at the time of a potential problem.

Our insurance requires annual inspections of our fireplace flue, even if they are never used. Lots of things like this in our society...it's one of the prices of continued safety for all, like it or not. Bitch all you want...probably won't change the result - inspections can save people from themselves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks