12 Inch Spread Tub and Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

plunger76

Reaction score
I'm working on a 1920's era bathroom that has a 12 inch spread tub and shower valve that is beyond repair. I would like to replace it with a new one of the same dimension so as not to have to deal with tile issues. Could anyone help me out with a source for such a valve as it doesn't seem to be a standard off the shelf item. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you have access from the back or must you do everything from the front? A picture would help. When used for a shower, codes require during updates, not repair, that it be brought up to codes to provide anti-scald technology. That makes thing more complicated. You might find separable volume and temperature knobs to replace the two valves and then have a thermostatically controlled system instead of separate hot and cold, the volume would control both while the thermostatic knob would adjust the output temperature. Could look similar, or at least use the same holes.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
12"

DId you actually measure the distance? 11" was a common dimension, but I have never seen or heard of a 12" one, unless it was assembled with valves, tees, and nipples. A pair of angle shower valves, a tee, a "twin elbow", and a diverter spout, along with the proper sized brass nipples would duplicate what you have, as long as it does not have a center diverter, or the diverter opening in the tile could be sealed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks