12/2 UF-B in attic?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by leejosepho, May 25, 2012.

1. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

I need to run power to my two new vents in the roof, and I have a new piece of 12/2 UF-B w/G I would like to use rather than spending more money for regular wire.

Any problem with that?

I ask because the UF-B has such heavy sheathing and I do not know whether that could be a problem in a hot attic.
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades

I have used UF in my attic with no problems.

It gets very hot in the attic here.

The Code Police will be around to tell you if it is allowed.

Southwire Type UF-B cable is generally used as feeder to outside post lamps, pumps, and other loads or apparatus fed from a distribution point in an existing building as specified in the National Electrical Code.1 UF-B cable may be used underground, including direct burial. Multiple conductor UF-B cable may be used for interior branch circuit wiring in residential or agricultural buildings at conductor temperatures not to exceed 90°C (with ampacity limited to that for 60°C conductors) as specified by the National Electrical Code. UF-B can be used in applications permitted for NMC in Section 334.10(B) of the National Electrical Code. Voltage rating for UF-B cable is 600 volts.
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  3. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

No, here is what the NEC says

Installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable. Where so installed, the installation and conductor requirements shall comply with Parts II and III of Article 334 and shall be of the multiconductor type.

When installing it do it the same way you would for NM cable and it will be fine
  4. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades

I do not think that any wire should be buried unless in conduit.

The code should be changed for safety.

Maybe you could make that happen.

You have the Power.
  5. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

I think Gophers need to be smart enough not to chew on a cable that is rated for direct burial
  6. Homeownerinburb

Homeownerinburb New Member

I think direct burial wire should be required to be protected by a GFI, as well as being buried 18" deep, with a warning tape six inches above that.

At least the few times I have done it, that has been my approach.
  7. leejosepho

I thank you all ... and now if I can get past my claustrophobia, I just have to get up early enough in the morning to get into the attic without overheating myself!
  8. leejosepho

I used to think that was overkill in a simple residential setting, but now I agree. A few days ago I replaced a badly-corroded outdoor receptacle only to discover it still does not work because I had previously cut the line when I buried a cable just a few inches deep for my satellite TV. And after repairing that UF line, I will definitely add a GFI breaker (like I had been planning to do anyway).