11 1/4 degree ABS elbow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Blade_Jones

Reaction score
Do they make an 11 1/4 degree ABS elbow (4")? I am replacing a section of sewage main. I don't want to drop the depth using two 90 degree elbows, so I can either use a rubber 4" coupling OR preferably find a 11 1/4 elbow if they are even made. I have found that 4" PVC elbows are made (in the 11 1/4 degree size), but can't seem to find any ABS elbows in uncommon sizes. Can I use a PVC elbow for a sewage drain (mixed with ABS)? If so can I use ABS pipe cement on a PVC elbow? Will it hold up?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It will glue it together but it will not weld it together. It will not pass code. It will work if there is NO stress on the pipe.... It's the kind of thing I would do but would not recommend. As for 11 1/4 ABS... I don't know... I don't use the stuff. I don't like it. Parts are too hard to find for it. The only time I ever see ABS around here is in mobile homes, occassionally in drain pipes, but not sewer pipes in houses.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a glue / solvent that will work on both PVC and ABS. Whether it will bond / solvent weld the 2 I'm not sure. My guess is no as their make up is different but it may bond better than if you used just ABS glue or just PVC glue.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a transition solvent for joining ABS to PVC. It's green. I use it all the time. Quite a few houses in northern Illinois were plumbed with ABS in the 1970's, but you can't find it around here now for love nor money. The transition solvent is a real problem solver.

Blade_Jones

Reaction score
For sewage pipes isn't ABS what everyone is using these days? Maybe I need to be running the white PVC pipes under my driveway. Should I return my black ABS pipes to Home Depot?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I didn't read the first post, using a fernco coupling Rubber with 2 hose clamps) may be easier and more forgiving. You may want to go that route.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bend

11 1/4 bends are MADE, it is just that no one uses them so the supply houses do not stock them. Don't "bend" a rubber Fernco to make the angle because you will just create a pond in the coupling. There are other ways to so it depending on the circumstances, one way being to roll a street 22 1/2 and a regular one to the desired angle, assuming you have some room to accomodate the slight drop in the pipe it will cause. ABS is the only material you can find in this area, and in other places PVC is the material of choice. There are also a very few places where both are used, although no area, to my knowledge, allows the two materials to be mixed in the same system.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would not suggest doing that. If you use a Ferncos (rubber connector) to do the work it will, to a degree, B slightly "flexable".

Last edited:

Blade_Jones

Reaction score
Actually I was messing with turning two 22 1/2 degree elbows and I am able to create an 11 degree bend with only a 2" depth drop. I can work with that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks