10 inch toilet in 12 inch rough in - tank brace suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
Plumbers don't want to install things that give them problems. They do install AS products, but they don't (generally) buy them from a big box store because of experience. Any manufacturer has an occasional defect that gets through, but if you ask Terry his defect rate, Toto has the lowest figure of all of the brands he sells. What you might find on the plumbing supply showroom is a defect that they didn't want to trash or send back. Generally, those are non-functional (i.e., they're not actually plumbed to work), so if it isn't obvious, why use one at 100%, when you have one that isn't.
Don't expect to see a functional toilet in a showroom but I really don't see any sense in them having a product that has a major flaw to show potential customers. Just not how to make a sale. Like a new car dealer having one with a bad paint job in their showroom floor.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bill, you make a good point about a dealer of anything not wanting a defective product in his showroom, but at the same time, a new car on the showroom floor and a toilet on display are hardly comparable. And that said, it is unlikely that a plumbing supply would use a defective toilet for a display. A plumbing dealer would inspect incoming merchandise very carefully and return a defective unit immediately. It should be noted that no one on the forum that I am aware of say that ALL AS toilets are faulty, just that those sold to discount stores seem to have a much higher percentage of defects. Is that proof? Probably not in court, but for many professional plumbers it's proof enough that they don't deal with them. If AS seems to be the best deal for you, go for it. There are many folks that have them and are very satisfied and maybe you will be too.:)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't expect to see a functional toilet in a showroom but I really don't see any sense in them having a product that has a major flaw to show potential customers. Just not how to make a sale. Like a new car dealer having one with a bad paint job in their showroom floor.

I wouldn't expect one with a major flaw, but it's easy to shim one that's warped on the bottom to sit nice and flat...and if it isn't visible, it makes a good display unit.

Other than looking for obvious packaging problems, I doubt there's any dealer that actually opens packages to check, nor do many plumbers. They buy things from the factory, expecting them to have passed a good QA/QC check.

Wptski

Reaction score
Bill, you make a good point about a dealer of anything not wanting a defective product in his showroom, but at the same time, a new car on the showroom floor and a toilet on display are hardly comparable. And that said, it is unlikely that a plumbing supply would use a defective toilet for a display. A plumbing dealer would inspect incoming merchandise very carefully and return a defective unit immediately. It should be noted that no one on the forum that I am aware of say that ALL AS toilets are faulty, just that those sold to discount stores seem to have a much higher percentage of defects. Is that proof? Probably not in court, but for many professional plumbers it's proof enough that they don't deal with them. If AS seems to be the best deal for you, go for it. There are many folks that have them and are very satisfied and maybe you will be too.:)
If I had a toilet installed by a Pro I wouldn't come here to complain about quality, only a DIY'r comes here and we mostly buy from the big box stores. No, can't compare cars to toilets but It was about what one puts on a showroom floor whatever it may be.

My original AS Cadet 3 had a leaky tank at/around the flush valve and the second one had better glazing but only noticeable if looking very close with a flashlight. I was tempted to retry it along with the seal from a Fluidmaster 540AKR kit which I used on the replacement anyway. I got $60 back on tank swap but wasn't worth the hassle dealing with the Home Depot online lack of knowledge at every turn.

Wptski

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect one with a major flaw, but it's easy to shim one that's warped on the bottom to sit nice and flat...and if it isn't visible, it makes a good display unit.

Other than looking for obvious packaging problems, I doubt there's any dealer that actually opens packages to check, nor do many plumbers. They buy things from the factory, expecting them to have passed a good QA/QC check.
Isn't having to use a shim common? It might the floor and not the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks