10 Inch rough in

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by bridgji, Jun 15, 2011.

1. bridgji

bridgji New Member

I want to replace an old toilet with an elongated bowl i have in a basement bathroom. The old toilet tanks sits right next to the cement wall. I'd like to put some insulation on the wall so was thinking of going with a 10 Inch rough in toilet to open some space for this. I have a few questions
    1. Will the 10 Inch rough in push further out in front?

2. If I go with a round toilet would that allow the front to be about in the same space? the space in front is limited also.

3. The toilet that is currently down there has 4 bolts holding it down; two look like normal bolts going to the flange. The other two appear just to be going to the cement in front of the flange. I assume the two front bolts are just an old style is there anything I should be concerned when replacing it with a current two bolt one?

Thanks for the help.
    Jim
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It depends on HOW they make it a 10" rough. If they use a conventional 12" bowl with a slimmer tank, then it will be the same. IF it is a dedicated 10" bowl, it will project 2" more, because the opening will be 2" further back from the front of the bowl..
  3. bridgji

bridgji New Member

If I was looking to keep it projecting out about the same I assume could probably go to a round vs elongated and make it up the space. Thanks for the reply
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Toto makes several toilets that use one of their Unifit adapters. These adapters come in 10", 12", and 14" sizes which allow the same toilet to fit any of those rough in sizes. Toto is the only manufacture that makes these adapters and they will only fit selected models. You can find these elsewhere on this site.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can also use a American Standard Cadet 3 round bowl with the 10" tank.
    It's a standard 12" bowl with thinner tank.
  6. bridgji

bridgji New Member

Thanks for the info.