10 5/8" rough-in, 1000 MaP score, HET, low height?

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel Stutzbach

Reaction score
I recently bought a house and two of the toilets are ancient water-guzzlers (and one of them frequently clogs). I'd like to replace them with water-efficient toilets that flush well. My county offers a rebate for toilets that flush 1.28 gpf or less or that have a dual-flush option. I also want a lower toilet (i.e., not comfort height or ADA).

After looking at Consumer Reports, reading up on this forum, and seeing reviews elsewhere, I had been starting to get excited about the Eco Drake line: 1000 MaP score, Consumer Reports rates it highly, user reviews on forums are excellent, bowl height of 14 5/8". It sounds perfect.

But that I started measuring. Our master bath has only an approximately 10 5/8" rough-in. The Eco Drake line has some 10" rough-in models but only at ADA height (17+"). In fact, Toto does not seem to make any 10" rough-in bowls with a shorter height. :(

What else should I be considering?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I recently bought a house and two of the toilets are ancient water-guzzlers (and one of them frequently clogs). I'd like to replace them with water-efficient toilets that flush well. My county offers a rebate for toilets that flush 1.28 gpf or less or that have a dual-flush option. I also want a lower toilet (i.e., not comfort height or ADA).

After looking at Consumer Reports, reading up on this forum, and seeing reviews elsewhere, I had been starting to get excited about the Eco Drake line: 1000 MaP score, Consumer Reports rates it highly, user reviews on forums are excellent, bowl height of 14 5/8". It sounds perfect.

But that I started measuring. Our master bath has only an approximately 10 5/8" rough-in. The Eco Drake line has some 10" rough-in models but only at ADA height (17+"). In fact, Toto does not seem to make any 10" rough-in bowls with a shorter height. :(

What else should I be considering?

Couple of thoughts:

(1) Are you sure you are measuring the rough-in correctly? It is from the FINISHED wall (not the baseboard) to the center of the floor flange (i.e. usually by the closet bolts). The original Drake you mention will fit on 11". So it's worth remeasuring to be sure you can't just use the original Drake.

(2) If you have to go on 10", the Universal Height toilet is actually preferred by a lot of people; easy to get up and down from it. Some shorter folks may not agree, but for most it's nice. Especially for older folks; easier on the knees.

(3) A number of Toto skirted toilets are available with a 10" unifit adapter (but only the skirted ones). But they are all Universal Height.

Come back with any more questions.

Daniel Stutzbach

Reaction score
(1) Are you sure you are measuring the rough-in correctly? It is from the FINISHED wall (not the baseboard) to the center of the floor flange (i.e. usually by the closet bolts). The original Drake you mention will fit on 11". So it's worth remeasuring to be sure you can't just use the original Drake.

Yes, I measured from the floor bolts to the baseboard, then measured the baseboard. I had measured somewhat sloppily with a tape measure, though. I just went back and made some more accurate measurements with a combination square. I measured 10 7/32" from the center of the bolts to the baseboard and measured 22/32" for the baseboard, for a total of 10 29/32".

That's a hair over the 10 7/8" mark for the EcoDrake, so it should fit assuming my measurements are good and my wall is flat.

Where is the best place to buy a Toto if I think there's a significant risk I might need to return it?

(2) If you have to go on 10", the Universal Height toilet is actually preferred by a lot of people; easy to get up and down from it. Some shorter folks may not agree, but for most it's nice. Especially for older folks; easier on the knees.

A higher toilet is easier on the knees; a lower toilet is easier on the bowels [1], [2]. Everyone in my family has good knees. :eek:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As far as buying it if you plan to install it yourself, you can open the yellow pages and look up "Plumbing Supply". You have the model number and you're ready to buy, so call around and ask the price at these plumbing supply guys, giving them the model number and telling them you're ready to buy if they can offer you a good price. Use the model number because it eliminates the possibility of confusion. CST744E. [The Eco-Drake has a new optional different, more traditional looking, tank, that just came out. Look up CST744EN. It will flush exactly the same as the traditional Drake tank.] I recommend that you call like 5 places, because street prices vary wildly. You can look at Terry's prices at the link above to see what a fair price is. Some places may do a little better, many will do worse. It doesn't matter if their ad says they carry Toto or not; most plumbing supply places can get it through their wholesaler, and many will be happy to sell it to you.

Good luck and come back to us if you have any more questions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks