1 Week Old Shower - Water Pressure Disappeared?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ClarendonCondo, Oct 16, 2009.

1. ClarendonCondo

ClarendonCondo New Member

Hi All-

Just redid my shower last week, I live in a 3 year old condo and took out the standard builders tub and replaced with a standing shower (re-tiled, rain shower head, new fixture/valve, etc.) and the shower was perfect....for a week.

Then yesterday, while showering, there was a large noise from the pipe (similar to what you hear when the water is cut off) and the water pressure dropped dramatically. The water pressure in the rest of my unit is fine, only in the shower has it disappeared.

Any suggestions? Could it be the valve? I don't want to trip out my tile and go behind the wall if I don't need to.

Thanks in advance
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

What make shower faucet is it? It may be a simple fix.

John
  3. ClarendonCondo

John-

The fixture and valve are Grohe, the shower head is American Standard.

Thanks for the response
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

First, unscrew the shower head and turn the valve on to verify you get good flow. If you do, something is caught in the showerhead. If you don't, then you may have some crud caught in the valve. Depends on the valve model how to check or clear it out, but check for good flow to the showerhead arm first.
  5. ClarendonCondo

Thanks, tried to do that but couldn't get the shower head off of the arm or the shower head off the connector. Is there some type of adhesive the plumber may have used to make sure it's tight (loctite?) and if so, what can I use to get it off?

It's only been on for a week, I'm surprised it's so hard to get it off.

Thanks again for the help.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Why not call back the installing plumber?
  7. ClarendonCondo

I have, but he only works during the week and removing the shower head should be pretty straight forward. I've left him a message and expect to hear from him on Monday.

I'm hoping it's just removing the shower head and cleaning it/grabbing something that was lose. I'm just surprised I can't remove the head myself.
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Does the connector on the showerhead have any flat spots on it that would allow you to use a wrench on it? If not, then a strap wrench may work. Most showerheads with angle adjustments just turn on the connector.