1" PVC to 1/2" copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
I see both PVC and copper compression fittings but to save me time today, would like to ask you pros on the best way --

to go from 1" PVC to 1/2" copper.

(Seems to me I did this before without compression fittings just using a copper female adapter and then with teflon tape, using a male threaded pvc adapter -- but I want to do it right. Besides, couldn't figure out the right way to go from the 1" down to half doing it this way.)

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are so many possibilities that we cannot describe them all and MOST will be the "right way". About the only "wrong way" would be to screw a male metal adapter into a female PVC one.

Mar3232

Reaction score
go figure -- that's what the guy gave me. A copper male to fit into female pvc. (lowes)

I can see how using a female copper fitting and then thread male pvc into that would be better right? It would "flow" right ? (water will be pushing out of the pvc into the copper).

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"go figure -- that's what the guy gave me. A copper male to fit into female pvc. (lowes)"

- Wrong advice. the risk is that a copper male adapter will weaken the PVC female adapter over time causing leaks in the future. Why? because it's so easy to over tighten.

Mar3232

Reaction score
But ok to do the reverse? A pvc male into a copper female? With tape of course. ? -- thanks

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let me just add this: I have done many such transitions from metal to PVC and vise versa, and they lasted successfully for many years.

To the OP: In this case, for whatever the application might be, go ahead and do it. What's the worse that can happen? - do it over?

Bluebinky

Reaction score
The PVC to copper transition on main service pipe at my Texas house cracked and caused on-going intermittent leak that undermined the garage slab. Not to mention the extra hundreds of dollars in water bills before we figured out what was going on...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks