1'' polypipe as the drop pipe

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by luc, Feb 16, 2010.

1. luc

luc New Member

Hello everyone,

Just want to know if it is good practice to use 1'' polypipe as the drop pipe in wells with 3 HP or 5 HP submersible pumps.

Thanks,
    Luc
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

That be a bit much HP to be setting on Poly
  3. luc

luc New Member

What is usuallly used for drop pipe on 3 to 5 hp pumps?
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

PVC, or Galvanized. I hate Galvanized though because it rusts
  5. luc

luc New Member

Thanks Peter for replying.

I read on a previous post that even PVC was not reccomended for pumps greater then 2 HP!!!!

Luc
  6. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Schedule 80 pvc with the SS couplers should hang 5hp dependant on depth. I would email the pipes MFG and not take the point here. I have 3HP on 200psi poly @200 feet, but you must use long,drawn brass fittings with three to 4 real clamps with a sae torque rating. You would have to also heat to insert the pipe on the fittings using the MFGR's instructions, not the local barefoot plumbers torch method. I woulod also reheat the pipe the next day and retorgue the clamps before setting. If using a 5 hp pump a slow start would solve all torque issues.
  7. luc

luc New Member

Thanks ballvale for replying. It answers my question.