1" poly pipe kinks

Users who are viewing this thread

yuri

Reaction score
I layed 1" poly pipe for my sprinklers, and it got kinks in a few places. It's hard to straighten them. I was hoping that water pressure will push'em out, but it does not seem to do it. Do i have to go and find every kink and straighten it with my hands before burying, or is there better way?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the pipe has creased where it was kinked, it has a weak spot in that location. The only way to fix it it to cut the kinked area out and splice it. Next time keep the pipe rolled up and use care when unrolling it.

yuri

Reaction score
Thanks for answering.
It's a bit confusing, to be frank. When I was unrolling the 500' coil, it simply wouldn't unroll without kinks because laying in a roll for a while shaped it. Have no idea how to "be careful". Is there way to describe how this is done in a bit more detail than just "careful"?
I straightened some kinks and they seem OK. But I have so many of them... It would kink every couple feet to lay it straight.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Truthfully, my experience with this kind of pipe if very limited. My irrigation system is laid with regular PVC. Perhaps the roll of poly was not properly cared for while it was in storage? Perhaps there are techniques of handling it that I am unaware of. I have related my experience with a very small amount of poly pipe.

Msgale

Reaction score
i have used poly, it does tend to keep the shape it's in..

which makes it difficult to use.
I loosen the ties that hold the roll , and then loosen(untwist) the whole roll of pipe so that it assumes a larger diameter for a day or two.
temperature is a big variable, also. Cold pipe is unforgiving, whereas 95degrees and in the sun for a few hours, will soften it up quite a bit.

on the other hand, long runs with no connectors is the benefit

yuri

Reaction score
Got you now. Sounds like by being naive I've screwed up the whole job. Oh, well... Thanks for help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks