1" PEX or 1" PVC when hooking up new softener?

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by JoshB-NC, Oct 22, 2012.

1. JoshB-NC

JoshB-NC New Member

All the current connections and piping in my well house are 1" PVC. The softener and Filox filter are both 1" pipe connections. I have been told by numerous people to use PEX instead of PVC. I have the pex tool and I have done plumbing with both. Its just that the ID of the pex is quite a bit smaller than PVC. Does it matter??

Its a well system JRD10 pump 30/50psi.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

PEX handles heat better. PVC is rated for use underground.
  3. JoshB-NC

JoshB-NC New Member

The well house has the jet pump and bladder tank all plumbed with pvc. The pvc then goes through the slab of the well house under ground 80' or so to the house.

I was going to use 1" pex from water pump to filter and softener then tie back into the larger 1" PVC where it exits the pump house.

I just want to make sure I am not going to lose volume or pressure inside our house because the 1" pex is quite a bit smaller than 1" PVC (ID).

Maybe its a dumb question? I just want to do it right!
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

PEX is smaller, so for a water service many people recommend bumping the size to 1-1/4"
  5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Ya can't use PVC inside the house but you can in the well house (go figure) so since everything else is PVC you might as well stick with it.
  6. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

PVC is much easier to use and less expensive overall and that's what you already have. I'd use PVC.
  7. JoshB-NC

JoshB-NC New Member

Ok thank you!