1 of 3 Toto UltraMax won't shut off quickly - pulses

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by monty, May 1, 2006.

1. monty

monty New Member

I have 3 Toto UltraMax toilets new in the last year. Our other 2 work perfectly but the one in the Master doesn't shut off correctly at the end of the fill. It will pulse over and over sometimes for a few cycles, other times for several minutes...a second flush tends to stop it quicker.

I have openend up the fill valve and cleaned and inspected the filter area - no help...

I have replaced the supply line flex hose thinking that might be part of the problem - no help...

The shutoff valve on the wall is a multi-turn shutoff and no mater where I set that it doesn't fix the problem - now it is fully open

Should I just replaced the flush assembly with a new one? That seems to be my only option now...
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

I would try that but first try adjusting the water level in the tank.
  3. monty

monty New Member

I have already checked the fill height, doesn't seem to be the problem - thank you though!
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'd call Toto...being that they are only a year old, they may just send you a replacement filler. The Korky QUietfill has a replacement seal. Quick and easy to replace. That may resolve the problem. If not, and it is not the shutoff valve, then replacing the filler assembly probably would help.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

Don't check it try and adjust it up or down and see if it makes any difference.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

If water is leaving the tank, a bad flapper, replace the flapper.

If water is going over the overflow, it may need a new $1.99 assembly cap on the fill valve. You can find the part at Lowes.
    Sometimes just cleaning the cap is all that's needed.

Instructions for the Korky Quietfill valve here
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  7. monty

monty New Member

I have changed the fill height which doesn't fix the problem. Currently the water is aprox 3/4" below the top of the overflow tube.

There is no leak. The toilet holds water fine, and it only won't shut off after a fill for anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute plus, just slowly pulsing without stop and then it will finally stop.
  8. rberney1@comcast.net

rberney1@comcast.net New Member

Monty.. I recently had same problem with my Drake toilet. New cap for fill valve (purchased at Lowes) did the trick. Good luck!
  9. monty

monty New Member

Problem Returns

So I had this problem above last year - now the problem has now Returned!

My solution last year was to "steal" the top cap from a working unit in our spare bathroom. I figured it wasn't a big deal to have our rarely used toilet have a problem - this fixed the problem toilet!

I called Toto and they sent me a new top cap, which I have kept in the sealed bag since last year as a spare.

Last month the problem started again. I took apart the fill valve, cleaned the comb filter piece and put on the brand new top cap - problem still occurs. The fill won't stop and pulses for about 10-30 seconds before stopping.

This is the now older style as in the photo a few posts above...

Since a brand new top cap from Toto didn't fix the problem what are my options???

Thanks again everyone!
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

What is your water pressure in the house? Do you have a pressure reduction valve? Do you have an expansion tank? Is the one that works on a lower floor than those that do?

I had some work done recently, and even though I didn't see anything in the caps and filters, in order to get the toilets to stop properly, I had to replace the caps. Prior to that, they had been in for 3-4 years, but both gave up the ghost either the same day or shortly thereafter the work done, so I'm pretty confident it was sediment clogging something up.

If you pressure is high, while a far reach, it could account for a valve having a hard time closing.