1 of 3 Toto UltraMax won't shut off quickly - pulses

Users who are viewing this thread

monty

Reaction score
I have 3 Toto UltraMax toilets new in the last year. Our other 2 work perfectly but the one in the Master doesn't shut off correctly at the end of the fill. It will pulse over and over sometimes for a few cycles, other times for several minutes...a second flush tends to stop it quicker.

I have openend up the fill valve and cleaned and inspected the filter area - no help...

I have replaced the supply line flex hose thinking that might be part of the problem - no help...

The shutoff valve on the wall is a multi-turn shutoff and no mater where I set that it doesn't fix the problem - now it is fully open

Should I just replaced the flush assembly with a new one? That seems to be my only option now...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would try that but first try adjusting the water level in the tank.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd call Toto...being that they are only a year old, they may just send you a replacement filler. The Korky QUietfill has a replacement seal. Quick and easy to replace. That may resolve the problem. If not, and it is not the shutoff valve, then replacing the filler assembly probably would help.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
monty said:
I have already checked the fill height, doesn't seem to be the problem - thank you though!

Don't check it try and adjust it up or down and see if it makes any difference.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg

If water is leaving the tank, a bad flapper, replace the flapper.

If water is going over the overflow, it may need a new $1.99 assembly cap on the fill valve. You can find the part at Lowes.
Sometimes just cleaning the cap is all that's needed.

Instructions for the Korky Quietfill valve here

Last edited:

monty

Reaction score
I have changed the fill height which doesn't fix the problem. Currently the water is aprox 3/4" below the top of the overflow tube.

There is no leak. The toilet holds water fine, and it only won't shut off after a fill for anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute plus, just slowly pulsing without stop and then it will finally stop.

monty

Reaction score
Problem Returns

So I had this problem above last year - now the problem has now Returned!

My solution last year was to "steal" the top cap from a working unit in our spare bathroom. I figured it wasn't a big deal to have our rarely used toilet have a problem - this fixed the problem toilet!

I called Toto and they sent me a new top cap, which I have kept in the sealed bag since last year as a spare.

Last month the problem started again. I took apart the fill valve, cleaned the comb filter piece and put on the brand new top cap - problem still occurs. The fill won't stop and pulses for about 10-30 seconds before stopping.

This is the now older style as in the photo a few posts above...

Since a brand new top cap from Toto didn't fix the problem what are my options???

Thanks again everyone!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is your water pressure in the house? Do you have a pressure reduction valve? Do you have an expansion tank? Is the one that works on a lower floor than those that do?

I had some work done recently, and even though I didn't see anything in the caps and filters, in order to get the toilets to stop properly, I had to replace the caps. Prior to that, they had been in for 3-4 years, but both gave up the ghost either the same day or shortly thereafter the work done, so I'm pretty confident it was sediment clogging something up.

If you pressure is high, while a far reach, it could account for a valve having a hard time closing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks