1 inch to 1.25 inch Tank Connection

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by gforce, Feb 27, 2009.

1. gforce

gforce New Member

I am replacing my tank.

I checked the connections from the supply line coming into the house to the tank itself.

Everything is 1 inch.

The connection on the tank I would like to get is 1.25 inch.

Will there be a problem adapting the 1 inch connection up to a 1.25 inch connection?

If you decrease the size of a connection the pressure increases, if you increase the size of a connection the pressure decreases.

Am I correct?

So how will that affect the tank or the overall pressure of the system?

If it will cause a problem I will need to choose a tank with a 1 inch connection.

Any comments on the subject would be appreciated

Thanks
  2. gforce

gforce New Member

yes, the pressure tank
  3. gforce

gforce New Member

Nope, not going to re-pipe.

I just want to make sure that shifting from 1" to 1 1/4" won't cause some problem with the pressure in the tank.
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Actually, it would not matter if it was 1" or 1/8", the pressure does not change.

It is common to have 1-1/4" pipe coming from the well. Reducing the size to 1" anywhere in the system will have no effect on an average single-family sized home.

Consider that most main supply piping in the home is 3/4". Water heater inlet/outlets are 3/4 inch.

Your problem, is not a problem.
  5. gforce

gforce New Member

my situation is the opposite

the pipe would go UP in size from 1 to 1 1/4

wouldn't that reduce the pressure going into the tank?

(this is all because the people who put it in were too cheap too spend an extra couple of bucks to use 1.25 pipe like you're supposed too - it's frustrating)
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

No, fluid pressure is NOT effected by the size of the pipe. If it's 50 psi coming in, it's 50 psi coming out. The pipe size variance you are talking about is common.

Do the work, there's no problem.
  7. gforce

gforce New Member

It's all done

Works Great!

Thanks a million for your help