1" everywhere but a reducer after the softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Lon Beatty

Reaction score
Hi -

I'm replacing the water softener in my home. The incoming water line is 1", the water softener connections are 1", and the house piping is 1" as well.

Previous owner has 3/4" pipe between the old softener outlet and the house pipe - even though that unit has a 1" outlet as well.

Is there a good reason to reduce the pipe for a foot or so before going back to 1"? Seems to me having 1" straight through would give me better water pressure.

Thanks!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will not affect the pressure. When you are replacing the softener it will be easy to change but I do not think it will make any difference.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
It will affect the flow, but I doubt you'd have high enough flow rates to notice it. But, WTH, won't hurt to replace it.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you do replace a piece of pipe, you might want to add a boiler drain valve, to which you could attach a pressure gauge when you are trying to diagnose low pressure symptoms.

You could also consider putting a whole house cartridge filter in line while you are changing things, but that could cause noticeable pressure drop if you are having pressure problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks