1 circuit/2 gang 3 way switches- Does this look right?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by cbailey, Apr 17, 2014.

1. cbailey

cbailey New Member

Hi All-
    Would appreciate any feedback about the attached diagram.

I'm not a homeowner working on a basement finish project and want to have my plans tight before submitting for a permit.

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It looks good, but would look less like a "plate of spaghetti" if you had left the green wires out and just said everything will be grounded. In fact, if you use plastic devices, you will not be connecting the grounds to the boxes anyway.
  3. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

What you have will work but I would bring power directly to the switches in the bottom box, two wire switch leg to each set of lights out of the switch box and only run the three wire from switch to switch.
  4. hj

quote; I would bring power directly to the switches in the bottom box

That would be a personal preference, and might depend on the physical arrangement of the wires relative to the boxes.
  5. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

One more reason to do it besides personal preference is it is the easiest way to comply with recent code requirement to have a neutral at every switch. 2014 code has backed off on some of the locations but the rule still exists.
  6. hj

quote; it is the easiest way to comply with recent code requirement to have a neutral at every switch.

It is a "dumb" requirement, and it is only "easier" if it is "easy" to run a two wire to the switch location. In many instances that would require a 3 wire to the switch, it the leg is being dropped out of the fixture to the switch.
  7. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

I agree.
    Those instances are very rare when you are starting from scratch.
  8. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

IMHO, it is only "sort of dumb". The way things are going, in a few years, a good light bulb may end up using not much more power than an electronic lighting control. In that case, having a neutral to power the control is probably better than relying on residual current through the bulb...
  9. hj

quote; Those instances are very rare when you are starting from scratch.

Not in my experience. Quite often the power feeds to the light fixture in the ceiling, and then 2 wires are dropped to the switch to control it.