1/4 turn left or 3/4 turn right? Gas shut off valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Andrew21, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

Hey All,
    Just installed a gas shut off valve but after the stove came in, I realized the valve needs to be turned so the stove can completely be pushed in.

I put on the teflon sealant when I screwed it on. I need it to point at 9 o'clock, but its at 12 o'clock now. Do I turn it back just 1/4 turn or do I go around 1 more time 3/4 turn? There's still more thread on the black pipe.

Thanks!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would go 3/4 turn more.

Of you you go back, make sure you remove and retape. Only you know how tight that was, and whether it's possible to make almost one more turn.
  3. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

Thanks Terry.

I remember that the pipe was getting harder and harder to turn. I think that was the last turn I could possibly make ..either that or I was tired as hell that night
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Then I would retape and not turn it so far.
    You can soap test when you're done.