1/2' compression angle stop on CPVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Racer814

Reaction score
anybody ever seen/done this?...went on a call yesterday about a leak behind a toilet...unfortunately it had already buckled the hardwood in an adjacent room...it was leaking from the 1/2' compression nut where it slipped on the CPVC...wasn't very tight....I removed it and installed a glued on stop...every single stop in the house was done the same way....looks like trouble waiting to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

TNPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Trouble

I have seen this on several occasions. I personally would never do it because of the stress on the pipe. Where there brass inserts in the pipe such as with poly ice maker line?

Racer814

Reaction score
nope....just the brass ferrule biting into the CPVC.....I would never ever do that

I mean...why?....they make valves that glue to CPVC...

TNPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
no wait

I think the idea is to turn the water on quickly w/o waiting for the glue to cure. I hate to see CPVC when doing service work, in any situation.

anglestop-cpvc-2.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I know that on PEX, to use a compression fitting, you need the sleeve inside of the pipe (they are usually SS on the ones I've seen) to make a reliable connection; otherwise, the compression can collapse the pipe or allow the valve to slide off or leak as you found. If you use one of those, I don't see much difference between copper or CPVC, and you can use the same valve, with the extra step of inserting the sleeve first.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I tour homes under construction regularly to see what the "pros" are doing. I think these luxury-home builders are hiring off the corner for everything that won't show, and spending their big bucks on covering up -- er, finishing. I see a lot of 1/2" CPVC stubouts that I know are going to be trouble down the line. Why don't they spend the extra $2 or $3 for a transition drop-ear el? Wouldn't make much of a dent in a $400K job. Oh, well, there will always jobs for a good service plumber and drywall repair guy.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

Brass compression fixture angle stops are not the highest quality valve ever made, and CPVC ones are even lower on the quality scale. How many times do you think you can cut off a glued on one and still get by with installing a new valve?

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Dahl" makes a GREAT cpvc 1/4 turn valve . they actually make cut-offs for all and any type or size of supply .

Racer814

Reaction score
hj said:
Brass compression fixture angle stops are not the highest quality valve ever made, and CPVC ones are even lower on the quality scale. How many times do you think you can cut off a glued on one and still get by with installing a new valve?
totally agree with you....the CPVC valve I installed is a brass unit with a CPVC insert that allows for gluing....plus the main valve body has a threaded connection that allows for removal....

I don't care much for compression angle stops in general anyway.....seen too many that leaked....when I was doing new construction I used sweat under sinks and a shower ell in the wall with 1/2" chrome nipple coming out on toilets and pedestals...

Racer814

Reaction score
Mikey said:
I tour homes under construction regularly to see what the "pros" are doing. I think these luxury-home builders are hiring off the corner for everything that won't show, and spending their big bucks on covering up -- er, finishing.
very true....I had no idea how shoddy the workmanship was in general until I started doing service...it's unbelievable at times...I honestly think it's a reflection on todays society ....people are more concerned about how much $ they can make in a day vs doing a job they can be proud of.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stops

I don't know how many thousands of compression stops I have installed in the past 55+ years, but the number that leaked because they were compression is in the low tens.

Racer814

Reaction score
I've came across two in the past 2 months....both caused significant damage

but I'm pretty sure that you didnt install them:D

Cfipp

Reaction score
I'm working with CPVC and running into problems, but I'll start a new post for that. I came across this post in my research.

I tour homes under construction regularly to see what the "pros" are doing. I think these luxury-home builders are hiring off the corner for everything that won't show, and spending their big bucks on covering up -- er, finishing. I see a lot of 1/2" CPVC stubouts that I know are going to be trouble down the line. Why don't they spend the extra $2 or $3 for a transition drop-ear el? Wouldn't make much of a dent in a $400K job. Oh, well, there will always jobs for a good service plumber and drywall repair guy.

@Mikey , what is a drop-ear el and how would it help in the case of CPVC? I searched Google Images but still not sure what it is.

Yup, that's what I'm running into: 1/2-inch of CPVC remaining after (if) I cut off the existing, leaking stop valve. :(

Carol

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks