1 1/2 copper to PVC help

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by coopns, Jun 26, 2010.

1. coopns

coopns New Member

Coming out of the wall I have 1 1/2 copper (see pic). The trap/drain didn't line up with my new vanity/counter top. So I cut off the exisiting copper w/trap. I got the 1 1/2 inch male.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

So do I solder that male on and then attach a flexible drain kit found at HD or Lowes?

Advice or recommendations?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

What you want is a "Marvel Ring"
    It's a brass threaded threads that solder on. Much smaller then a male adapter.
    I couldn't find a picture to show you but they are about 3/8" long.
  3. coopns

coopns New Member

So what I currenty have, won't work with flexible drain kit?

1. So would I ask for a Marvel Ring at HD or Lowes or does it go by a different name? (I often have trouble finding adequate help there).
    2. After I solder the Marvel Ring on, then attach the flexible drain kit?

Thanks.
  4. Terry

I missed the part about a flexible drain.
    I've never used one. I've always used a standard p-trap with slip joint nuts.
    Which would work with either the marvel ring or the male adapter.
    I doubt that the box stores would have any idea about the marvel ring, that's a pure plumbing thing.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Don't even consider the flex drain. These are a gimmick sold only to DIY that don't know any better. The reason you want the Marvel Ring instead of the standard male adapter is the adapter sticks out too far to cover. It would function just fine, but not too attractive. You can use a PVC drain kit, just not the flex one, or a chromed brass one. The brass will cost a tad more, but they certainly are more attractive than PVC. As noted, you'll have to do to a "real" plumbing supply rather than a Big Box Store for the Marvel Ring.
  6. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Why not use a 1.5" copper x 1.5" IPS bow adapter? Or even a 1.5" copper by 1.5" IPS banded coupling?
  7. wallskev

wallskev New Member

Marvel Rings are available from http://www.coburns.com if you cannot find locally.

http://www.coburns.com/Products/Details.aspx?Item=331876

274-6 ADAPTER BRS 1-1/2 FM SWT X SJ THRD MARVEL RING ( FLUSH ADAPTER ) CAT451S

Product Details:
    Manufacturer Name: SIOUX CHIEF MFG.
    Coburns#: SIO2746
    Manufacturer#: 274-6
    Price: $5.71
    Availability: 449
    Product Description: 274-6 ADAPTER BRS 1-1/2 FSWT X SJ THRD
  8. coopns

coopns New Member

So I can use that male adapter with a PVC drain kit? I don't mind if it sticks out a bit far, it will all be hidden behind the vanity.
  9. Terry

Most plumbers are using the standard 1.5" p-traps that come with both the 1.5" slip joint washer and the 1.5 x 1.25 reducing slip joint washer.

It's all good.