Search results

1. J

Really, really, really, big pipes in hot water heating system

HJ, Any sense of how to get a rough calculation on the savings? I figure replacing these pipes is no small cost and if it just going to cut 10% off my bill, it will probably never pay for itself. -JT
  2. J

Really, really, really, big pipes in hot water heating system

I have hot water gas heat in a 1920's house. Most of the original cast iron pipes in the basement are exposed and some of them are absolutely huge (5" diameter). My understanding is that the original system used gravity rather than electric pumps to circulate water through the house so the...
  3. J

Is it too good to be true? (HeatManager)

I just received a brochure from my heating company that included information on a "HeatManager" which is guaranteed to reduce fuel use by 10 to 20%. Anyone have experience with one of these? If they are so great, why don't the boiler companies just install these with their boilers in the first...
  4. J

Mystery leak in drain line under basement floor

Update: Received a second opinion on the leak and the contractor is 95% sure that there is a bad joint about 2 ft. down from the clean-out which is the cause. We are going to take a bit of a "belt and suspenders" approach and replace some of the pipe by jack-hammering up the floor and also...
  5. J

Thanks Thank you for your responses. I was able to find the company from the "This Old House" episode and they are going to come by for a second look at the pipe with a color camera. I will give the enzyme cleaner a try before them come to hopefully get some of the gunk out of the pipe. I...
  6. J

For two months, I have been trying to find the source of a drain fly infestation in my basement. I finally discovered that there is water in one of the clean-outs of a drain line under the basement cement floor. The flies are clearly breeding from this source (about 10 flew out when I dug out...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks