Search results

1. Andrew P.

Flow-tite valves

Shouldn't damage pipe if handled correctly According to the ACCOR FlowTite R-Series specification sheet, the grip on the pipe stub is achieved solely with an o-ring, so if the valve is carefully twisted off the pipe, it should not score or damage the pipe in any way. Quote: "Removable and...
  2. Andrew P.

To PVC or not to PVC...

"Poly" isn't any type of plastic. It's a Greek prefix that means "many". It can be the start of polystyrene, polyethylene, polypropylene, polybutylene, polymorphism, polygamy, etc. ad infinitum.
  3. Andrew P.

To PVC or not to PVC...

PVC works fine The bottom line is that you should check to see if local plumbing codes have restrictions on use of PVC for domestic potable water; as far as I know, most don't, but there may be restrictions on use of PVC within the foundation boundary, as is the case in my local...
  4. Andrew P.

PVC to CPVC Transition Cement

What you need is often called "multi-purpose cement", for joining PVC, CPVC and ABS in any combination. If memory serves, I've seen the stuff at my local ACE Hardware store, and other hardware stores. It usually comes in a clear formulation. I suspect it's just a mix of the various solvents...
  5. Andrew P.

Is PEX "self insulating?"

PEX isn't "self-insulating", although its thermal conductivity is much lower than that of copper or iron. Standing water will eventually freeze in PEX tubing in a sub-freezing environment, it just takes a little longer. Hot water will stay hotter as it travels from the water heater to the...
  6. Andrew P.

Polybutylene Advice

I lived in a mobile home from about 1979-1994 that was plumbed with polybutylene. The unit was built in late 1977 or early 1978, shortly before Shell Chemical cheapened the resin formulation and removed the plasticizer, which caused grief for so many owners in subsequent years due to cracking...
  7. Andrew P.

Need help finding 1" AquaPEX

That's assuming that one has access to an oxyacetylene torch or gas/oxygen torch and a special heater tip. It's not a cost-effective solution if one doesn't already have the equipment.:(
  8. Andrew P.

Need help finding 1" AquaPEX

I think Chris B is correct about AquaPEX. I, too, have been researching PEX systems and calling plumbers about doing a repiping job entirely in PEX. So far, without exception, they try to steer me to copper or CPVC. They usually say that they won't do PEX installations due to lawsuits over...
  9. Andrew P.

back-up

The suggestion to use Carbonite.com or some other automatic off-site service is a good one. It protects you not only from hardware failures, but also from fire, flood, burglary and other calamities. Short of signing up with such service, the least you can do is periodically archive photos and...
  10. Andrew P.

Obama is paying for home upgrades

Obama isn't paying for anything. It's We The People who pay for everything through taxes and funds silently stolen from our savings through currency inflation. Unlike corporations, We The People can't even pass the taxes on to anyone. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Always keep that...
  11. Andrew P.

Toto Eco Drake No Longer Flushing Properly

Paper or plastic? I like the plastic ones, 'cuz the paper ones break off and get stuck in my ears!:D I can't use an auger in my ear canals. I don't throw the used swabs into the toilet, though.
  12. Andrew P.

Sprinkler valve mystery

You won't hear a buzzing sound from the solenoid when you power it from three 9-volt batteries in series. The buzzing only occurs when the solenoid is powered from AC, provided by the transformer in the valve controller. However, if you're next to the valve when you apply 27 VDC, you should...
  13. Andrew P.

Loose Toilet Seat Cure

I've lost track of how many toilets I've encountered in public restrooms, institutions and private houses that have wobbly, loose toilet seats. It seems to be particularly problematic with the seats that use nylon bolts and washers. New seats come with some double-sided foam tape pads that are...
  14. Andrew P.

American Standard Vent-Away seat loose

Try Aerokroil or Marvel Mystery Oil A good product for this purpose is "Kroil" from Kano Laboratories. They offer an aerosol version, called "Aerokroil", that can be sprayed in almost any direction, and with the help of the extension tube, can reach into very tight places. Even though...
  15. Andrew P.

Toilet traps drying out. How to prevent?

Vegetable oil = bad The problem with vegetable oils is that they oxidize and become rancid. Rancid oils adhere to surfaces like glue and are very hard to remove, both from the toilet trap and the drain pipes.:mad: Moreover, oil and grease on the drain pipe walls can act like a magnet for...
  16. Andrew P.

Best location for pressure switch?

Thanks for the input, sammyhydro11. The 3-foot section of exposed pipe at the well is just part of the problem. There's a assortment of 1/2-inch copper pipe and some of the galvanized main supply pipe exposed at the pressure tank, but that will be easy to handle, since it's right next to the...
  17. Andrew P.

Initial rust when pump turns on

Maybe rusty pipes? It sounds as if the main supply pipe from the pump to your tank/filter/softener may be rusty inside. The effect you describe is essentially what happened to the old galvanized iron pipes in my house, even on a city water supply. If the water doesn't run for a few hours, or...
  18. Andrew P.

Best location for pressure switch?

I'm doing some handyman work for an acquaintance outside city limits. She has a private well, located about 120 feet from the captive air pressure tank next to her house, and the property is on level ground. She recently asked me to freeze-proof the exposed plumbing, as temperatures in the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks