Search results

1. Racer814

Plumbers putty on fiberglass tub?

I use putty except on natural stone surfaces, however I use silicone on shower drains as they are prone to work loose over time...it's just the way I was taught frankly and it works as good as anything else...I don't really understand the need for silicone on basket strainers and such and want...
  2. Racer814

Installing service to irrigation manifold

good info except that not ALL backflow devices must be installed above the highest sprinkler head....RPZ's protect against back pressure as well as back siphonage whereas a PVB does not protect against back pressure
  3. Racer814

Hiring Practices/Costs Incurred

honestly cal...I was just trying to respond line by line to your post...what in the world was in there to get you that upset?........I certainly said nothing derogatory.....
  4. Racer814

take it easy cal...those ! are hurting my ears....simple mistake...wasnt trying to insinuate those were your words...I'll remove it ok?:)
  5. Racer814

1/2' compression angle stop on CPVC?

why would you install thousands of them then?
  6. Racer814

I've came across two in the past 2 months....both caused significant damage but I'm pretty sure that you didnt install them:D
  7. Racer814

that last paragraph is most telling....congratulations on figuring out what it took me a long time to..:) .[/
  8. Racer814

very true....I had no idea how shoddy the workmanship was in general until I started doing service...it's unbelievable at times...I honestly think it's a reflection on todays society ....people are more concerned about how much $ they can make in a day vs doing a job they can be proud of.
  9. Racer814

totally agree with you....the CPVC valve I installed is a brass unit with a CPVC insert that allows for gluing....plus the main valve body has a threaded connection that allows for removal.... I don't care much for compression angle stops in general anyway.....seen too many that leaked....when...
  10. Racer814

State domestic electric water heater

I would definitely replace the anode rod if you can get to it...I think its accessible on state....some manufacturers cover them over....some ( I think Bradford White-I may be wrong) have a combination hot outlet/anode rod....those are a nightmare to get out sometimes...as far as getting the old...
  11. Racer814

I would worry about the CPVC stress cracking down the road...
  12. Racer814

nope....just the brass ferrule biting into the CPVC.....I would never ever do that I mean...why?....they make valves that glue to CPVC...
  13. Racer814

anybody ever seen/done this?...went on a call yesterday about a leak behind a toilet...unfortunately it had already buckled the hardwood in an adjacent room...it was leaking from the 1/2' compression nut where it slipped on the CPVC...wasn't very tight....I removed it and installed a glued on...
  14. Racer814

I wish I could work by myself but a optic nerve disease 4 years ago forced me to give up driving....I will say however that it is nice to have help on a lot of jobs and you can absolutely get more done...Personally I try to look for character vs skills when hiring and if he has previous plumbing...
  15. Racer814

Two New Faucets - One Has Rusty Water, Black Specks

yep....I agree with rugged...... I would check the stops first rust could possibly be coming from the water heater.....how old is it?
  16. Racer814

Leaky kitchen handheld spout

check the threads on the spout to make sure they arent cracked also
  17. Racer814

Help! Bathroom reno screeched to a halt: stack branch too high!

as hj said....running 4" partially won't help....and a 3" hole through a 7" joist wouldnt pass inspection....much less a 4....can't be more than a third the depth of the joist here and I would have to face both sides with plywood before drilling......how many joists do you have to pass through...
  18. Racer814

Frameless shower door enclosures

I've installed a lot of Basco doors.....they are good doors
  19. Racer814

possible cold joints

I've seen a lot of them myself....probably had the heat right at the point where the copper came out of the stop...the thinner copper heats more readily than the thicker brass....solder melts around the copper but doesnt flow into the valve socket probably not a problem in the wall...thats...
  20. Racer814

Another estimating/pricing question

sounds like a lot of bad experiences on doing new construction on here....there are definitely a lot of bad contractors/homeowners/employees etc...but there are good ones too...I did new construction exclusively for 18 years and had a pretty good run of it...I learned long ago that people will...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks