Search results

1. Ginahoy

looking for fitting to install pressure gauge on 1-in pex water line

Thanks guys for your prompt replies! Already have all that stuff. Thanks. So this is what I came up with (supplyhouse.com sku's): * 1" x 1" x 1/2" Expansion PEX Reducing Tee (PPT100-100-050) * 1/2" Expansion PEX x 1/2" NPT Female Adapter (PPF050) * 1/2" x 1/4" MIP x FIP Brass Bushing...
  2. Ginahoy

looking for fitting to install pressure gauge on 1-in pex water line

I want to install a pressure gauge (1/4" male NPT) on my incoming water line (from shared well) so I can track the pressure at my house. The only Tees I'm finding that have a 1/4" gauge port are for pressure tanks, way overkill for just a pressure gauge. The water line is 1" Uponor (Wirsbo)...
  3. Ginahoy

When to use 2x6 to allow for plumbing (interior walls)

Based on my read of IRC Section 602.6.1 (I checked 2015 & 2018), the top plate of an exterior wall or interior load-bearing wall can be notched or drilled more than 50% of the width if it's reinforced with a metal tie. Apparently there's no limitation on drilling top plates on interior...
  4. Ginahoy

This question has become more relevant to me personally as I just broke ground on my own new home. A plumber I met with today said code requires 2x6 walls for 2" vent lines since the pipe cutout takes too much wood from a 2x4 plate. If this is correct, surely it only applies to load bearing...
  5. Ginahoy

Code for water heater T&P drain in a basement

Sorry, by drain tile I was referring to a floor drain made of plastic with a 'strainer' plate. I never stopped to think about the origin of the term. Good to know there's no issue with my design. Thanks.
  6. Ginahoy

Code for water heater T&P drain in a basement

I'm preparing to break ground on a my new home, which has a fully below-grade basement. A storage type water heater will be centrally located in the basement. There will be two interior sumps -- one with a sewage ejector pump for the bathroom fixtures and the other for the footer drain. I'm...
  7. Ginahoy

Permanent freeze protection for outdoor kitchen in mild climate?

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions. @jadnashua: Thanks for tip on frost-free faucet. I hadn't seen that! I don't think my wife will go for that but I'm curious how deep the wall needs to be. A previous home back east had frost-free bibs, but I was thinking they were aligned with...
  8. Ginahoy

Permanent freeze protection for outdoor kitchen in mild climate?

I'm planning an outdoor kitchen for my yet-to-be built home. In our relatively mild climate (SE Arizona), we enjoy outdoor activities year round (the high today was 72F), although it occasionally drops well below freezing overnight. Thus far this winter it's dropped below 28F maybe 8 times. One...
  9. Ginahoy

Challenge routing sanitary drain line to the outside (revised)...

Although there should never be any standing liquid in the exposed pipe (top elbow and riser), I thought I should mention that in the area where I live (SE Arizona), we never see sustained temperatures below freezing. So my question is whether the plumbing code requires sanitary line to exit the...
  10. Ginahoy

Challenge routing sanitary drain line to the outside (revised)...

I'm designing a new home with fully below-grade basement. There will be a sump pump to lift basement wastewater to the main sanitary line that runs through the floor trusses. The trusses bear on the basement wall so the main sanitary line will exit the house about 12" above grade, then elbow...
  11. Ginahoy

DIN / NPT compatibility?

@Bill, I called HFI and they only have zinc coated adapters, but the rep referred me to adaptall, which makes various brass and SS metric-to-NPT adapters. Now that I'm armed with enough knowledge to ask the right questions, I can push the distributor to provide the actual fitting spec for the...
  12. Ginahoy

DIN / NPT compatibility?

Thanks Smooky. Best I can tell, DN is not a pipe thread specification and is thus not sufficient to determine compatibility. Listing a fitting as DN25 would be the equivalent of an American spec showing NPS 1" Since DN is a metric designation, it seems unlikely that whatever thread standard the...
  13. Ginahoy

DIN / NPT compatibility?

I already knew DIN is different. My question is about DN vs NPT. DN is an ISO standard, not British or German. The chiller spec says connections are DN25. The importer says 1" NPT will obviously fit because they're the same thing. He seems to be implying that DN is the ISO standard for NPT...
  14. Ginahoy

DIN / NPT compatibility?

@DougB, I'm normally the guy advocating for tried-and-true mainstream products. Too much risk at the bleeding edge, or niche products. Here today, gone tomorrow. But in this case, because this is an off-grid home in a hot climate (e.g, near Phoenix), the cost of not going with this product was...
  15. Ginahoy

DIN / NPT compatibility?

I'm specifying an imported chiller for a project. According spec sheet, water connections are DN25 1" I checked with the distributor and he claims DN25 is the same as 1" NPT. At first I thought DN25 meant DIN25, which I don't believe is compatible with NPT. But I now realize DN is...
  16. Ginahoy

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. In most cases I'm able to do a plan review well before ground breaking to ensure HVAC has been accommodated, and optimized when possible. I have also been advising clients to have a plumbing contractor review their plans, especially regarding DHW and hot...
  17. Ginahoy

Thanks for quick reply. I advise clients to avoid any plumbing in exterior walls, but all of my clients are building high performance homes so 2x6 is pretty much standard. I guess my question is when would there ever be a 3" waste line in a wall on a single floor home? Shower, tub and toilet...
  18. Ginahoy

As mechanical systems designer, I work with plans a lot. I often see 2x6 interior walls for plumbing but it's not consistent. I think architects and designers learn someone along the way to show 2x6 in certain situations but don't really understand when to apply, so they overdo this detail...
  19. Ginahoy

why use submersible pumps for wells?

Thanks for the responses. I get the other issues, but I didn't realize there was an inherent difference between pushing and pulling since the amount of work would be the same (e.g., difference between elevation of water table vs. receiver tank, plus pipe friction losses and bladder pressure). I...
  20. Ginahoy

why use submersible pumps for wells?

Given the labor involved in pulling a submersible pump (especially with hard pipe), there must be a good reason for using them, as opposed above-ground pumps. From an efficiency standpoint, it seems like it wouldn't matter where the pump is located along the path since it still has to pump...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks