Search results

1. rckowal

Dry Floor Drain

In my basement floor there are two drains. One is in the main drain sanitary sewer line; it works fine & there is always water in the trap. The other one is about 20 feet away but its pipe runs over to the main where it is tapped in. I believe it may be part of a storm sewer drain (I'm a DIY'er...
  2. rckowal

House Re-Plumbing Project

Thanks for the reply Jadnashua. It's appreciated. Richard
  3. rckowal

House Re-Plumbing Project

I have to replace the galvanized potable water plumbing in a residential home. I'm considering plastics - both PEX or PVC (CPVC). Although this is a DIY project, I have previously installed a plastic lawn sprinkler system as well as sweated copper & (cold water) PVC. Since I'm a retired Plastics...
  4. rckowal

Ball Valve Leaking Internally

Thanks HJ. After reading the replies on this forum & talking to my sprinkler system repair guy, I now understand that although it's rare, they can develop leaks. He'll be here next Monday to install a new valve. Richard
  5. rckowal

Thanks John, Maybe it is because it's old (so am I by the way) but some how that doesn't sound quite right. Maybe I'm missing some thing, but in 20 years that valve has only been opened/closed a total of about 50 time - so I can't see how it could have worn out. Being made of brass...
  6. rckowal

I have a 1" brass ball shut off valve between the house water service and a lawn sprinkler system. It was installed about 20 years ago and has been working fine ever since - no leaks, etc. As I normally do at this time of the year, I blew out the sprinkler system with compressed air to...
  7. rckowal

Pipe Life Expectancy

SpartyRules, I have done a lot of copper pipe soldering, etc. so that isn't an issue. However I am 75 years old & find such work to be too taxing for me. Since I can afford to pay for the work that's what I prefer to do. Regardless, I'm going to be buying a home for a daughter so I was just...
  8. rckowal

Pipe Life Expectancy

Thanks for the information Thatguy. Is the house built on a crawl space or slab? I could be wrong but I don't believe homes in Arizona have basement. "Without any patching after the job". I don't understand - please clarify. Richard
  9. rckowal

Pipe Life Expectancy

Thanks to all for your very helpful replies - they're appreciated. Would some one care to offer a "guesstimate" of the possible expense to re-pipe a small house to PVC (from galvanized). I know you would have to see the job to be able to do so but even a "cost range" will be helpful...
  10. rckowal

Pipe Life Expectancy

What is the reliable life span of galvanized &/or copper pipe? I am looking to buy an older (lower priced) home in a suburban area near Detroit. I am running into many of them which have galvanized pipe. I don't want to buy into potential plumbing problems or the expense of re-piping. So, I...
  11. rckowal

How to use root killer?

Hi Rugged, Thanks for your very helpful reply. I have a few questions "You want to hit a floor drain or pull a toilet to hit where the root intrusions were likely found. If roots were found inside the structure, in the piping, you need to access the furthest distance inside the house and apply...
  12. rckowal

How to use root killer?

How Do I Use RootX? I've read a lot about RootX, but I never seen much said about exactly how to introduce it into the pipe where the roots are. The reason I ask is that anything that foams has to be applied in the right place or it may not move through the sewer line to the roots. For...
  13. rckowal

How Do I Loosen Galvanized Pipe

Thanks for the reply Terry, it's much appreciated. Your forum is very helpful as well. I've decided to cutoff the 1 1/2" galvanized wall pipe then transition from it's stub to plastic tubing for the sink. So I can have enough reciprocating saw (Sawzall) blades on hand when I start to cut...
  14. rckowal

Thanks to all for replying, your suggestions are very helpful. About how long might it take to heat 1 1/2" pipe to "red hot"? I would be using a Bernzamatic torch with Mapp or butane gas. I also have 24" wrenches and a cheater if it's needed. Transitioning to plastic sounds interesting...
  15. rckowal

I'm updating the kitchen sink in our 40 year old house. Naturally, the drain locations on the new sink will be totally different than the old one. This requires that I undo a portion of the existing wall pipe (which drains into an iron stack within the wall). Between the wall & sink trap...
  16. rckowal

Tree Roots In House Storm Drain

Santanaf said: I tried some of the big box root cleaners, and then found this stuff. http://cgi.****.com/ROOTX-4lbs10-30F...QQcmdZViewItem It is called RootX and it is awesome. We have not had a problem since. I just treat the drain with a 4 Lb container every 5-6 months. I put it in at...
  17. rckowal

Thanks for the candid reply, it's appreciated. I understand that trade people need to make a decent living along with everyone else. Maybe I'm a nut, but I wouldn't lie to them so I expect the same honesty in return. Hell, I would be happy with the truth 80 or 90% of the time. I'm...
  18. rckowal

Thanks for the reply Gencon, it's appreciated. Not that there's anything wrong with your advice, I already called in a professional drain cleaner but that didn't work. Based on many things he said, I'm all but certain this guy is dishonest. He tried to convince me that my basement floor...
  19. rckowal

Attached is a diagram showing what I believe may be the arrangement of pipes & drain tiles in our house storm drain. I am pretty certain of the locations & connections of the storm drain, the cleanout & the drain to the municipal sewer. Maybe some one can tell me how the drain tiles are usually...
  20. rckowal

How Are Sewer Pipes Layed Out

Thanks for replying Randyj. This house was built in 1965, so I'm assuming that the storm water collecting drains are tiles rather than plastic which came later. Also, please see my reply to HJ about seperated storm & sanitary sewers here - no pumps; just two public drains.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks